Duncan Distortion alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Distortion alternative

Hey all just registered. So I've got a Duncan Distortion set in one of the Dave Mustaine ZERO Explorers. I must say I freakin love the set, its just a touch hotter than I would like. I absolutely love the voicing, but I was wondering if there is an option that is just not quite as hot. I do alot of fast palm muting ie Iced Earth, Orden Ogan, and Testament. The Bridge pup has a great attack to it, its tight and sounds great, I'd just like it to be a littler clearer. I should mention too I'm not a fan of the JB, I know its supposed to be like the Distortion but I've never gotten along with it. Hope someone can help!

Re: Duncan Distortion alternative

If you generally like the thing, I'd say try lowering the pickup or the gain of your amp/pedal/whatever you use and you might save yourself a couple of dollars.

Comment

Appreciate the advice but I know all that. I prefer medium and sometimes lower output pups and I prefer to let my amp do the heavy lifting. Just prefer it with how I play.

Comment

Then you'll have to wait for the gurus to show up !

Comment

maybe try the neck pickup in the bridge. it was once the SH-7 seymourizer II

maybe „the hunter“ or dokken bucker. (duncan custom shop)

the screamin demon fits the bill for „let the amp do the heavy lifting“.
          quite a different voice though.
          Last edited by ToneFiddler; 05-31-2020, 08:45 AM. Reason: added one more sentence

Comment

I think your options are Pegasus and Custom 5 (sh 14).

Comment

Either a Custom or Custom 5 would fit the bill.
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

The Custom is a good call. I had them side to side: it is clearer, briter and less grainy. In another guitar i have modded 500T (one side magnet was swapped with a wood bar): less grainy, less brite.
                I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Custom 5 is probably the closest, but even then, it isn't quite right. The Custom 5's bass is pretty tight and present in a different way than the Distortion.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Try listening to those clips...

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...Knuckles-Oh-my!

Comment

Awesome thanks for the feedback! From those clips I really dig the Distortion with the Alnico magnets. Sounds brighter and more what my ears like.

Comment

The Distortions sound terrif with alnico mags.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Unfortunately, you like a particular EQ for which there is no mid-power equivalent. That I know of....

And a DD w/ an A5 is close to a JB....just sayin'. I might try the Neck in the bridge first. I'd think at ~12k it will be what you want most closely. Then, if that's a no go, try the a5 swap.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

quick trick before you are fully set on a new pickup, roll back your tone pot from 10 to about 7 or 6 and add more treble on the amp, you may also roll the volume slightly too to about 8, in pickups voiced with some "grind" in the highs rolling the tone back a bit can clean them up under heavy gain as the highs will be less "busy" when palm muting and chording

Comment

Try the Distortion neck pickup in the bridge and then let us know how that goes.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X