banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NPD: EHX Silencer (4 cable method troubleshooting anyone?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NPD: EHX Silencer (4 cable method troubleshooting anyone?)

Originally posted by BleedingFingertips View Post
    Looking forward. Still don't want to start saving for a Zuul
    Did you say you have an ISP Decimator too? What don’t you like about that pedal?
    I have the G-String version and it’s probably the best gate pedal I’ve ever owned.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
      Did you say you have an ISP Decimator too? What don’t you like about that pedal?
      I have the G-String version and it’s probably the best gate pedal I’ve ever owned.
      Nope, didn't say that. Don't own a G-String. Well, I don't like the price and I think in general a noise gate pedal isn't worth $250 or whatever the price is. But if I would choose among options above $200 I would grab a Zuul no doubt.

It's kinda weird that the options you have on the market are either under 100 oder above 200 (excluding gates with two jacks). I think Boss and EHX could easily make something of equal quality to G-String or Zuul for say $150. Then I would listen. This is the highest price I'm willing to pay.

Comment

I had ISP Decimator II, which was pretty useless to remove digital hiss with my pedals. When I tried to dial it, it went from nothing to cutting out my notes way too much, before reducing any noise.

They may be more suited to high gain application.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

TBH the way im reading what the manual says, i gotta agree with those that are saying to hook the amp send to the pedal send and amp return to the pedal return. Where the labeling makes no sense in an electrical standpoint if you know how send and returns work, i think they labeled it that way for the average guitar player who has no idea about how gear actually works and would see send>send and return>return.
          sigpic
          Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
          Dunlop Crybaby
          MXR Custom Comp
          GFS Twin Overdrive
          Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
          Blackstar HT-DISTX
          Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Originally posted by NoOnesFang13 View Post
            TBH the way im reading what the manual says, i gotta agree with those that are saying to hook the amp send to the pedal send and amp return to the pedal return. Where the labeling makes no sense in an electrical standpoint if you know how send and returns work, i think they labeled it that way for the average guitar player who has no idea about how gear actually works and would see send>send and return>return.
            No. Manual clearly states SEND ouputs signal and that RETURN is input.

Connecting output to output and input to input makes no sense indeed.

SEND Jack – Connect the SEND jack to the beginning of your effects loop. The output impedance is 300Ohm. The SEND jack outputs a buffered version of the signal present at the INPUT jack at all times. If you do not need to use the Silencer’s effects loop, the SEND jack could also be used to split the input signal.

RETURN Jack – Connect the end of your effects loop to the RETURN jack. The signal preset at the RETURN jack is gated by The Silencer. The input impedance is 1MOhm. If you are not using the effects loop and prefer to use The Silencer as an inline gate, do not plug anything into the RETURN jack.
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Wanted to post a quick update. I sent the Silencer back und purchased a Boss NS-2.

Unfortunately, it didn't get better. The same problem but different. Instead of crackling noses, the 4CM with Boss produced very loud feedback.

Comparing the two as regards gating, I'd say Silencer gates better to my taste. But my amp hates both.
              Hate to say this, but I'm starting saving for Fortin's Zuul.

Comment

There’s got to be a wiring issue somewhere.
                It’s very confusing when wiring a gate into the loop. I had issues for a while trying to figure mine out.
                I still do whenever I need to rewire something.
                Before you give up, give it another shot and really scrutinize every connection.
                The Boss unit is a very good gate. The fact that you have feedback is telling me something is wrong in the signal chain.

Comment

Again
                  I would suggest using it like the manual says
                  Not like someone on YouTube says

YouTube is full of misinformation
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Necro post here, but I encountered the same issue with the crackling noises. Not sure what that's about. I still can't figure out how to tackle this but for the same of being thorough, is this not the pattern to be used?

Guitar --> Tuner --> Silencer Send --> Compressor? --> OD/DIST --> Amp Input

Amp FX Send --> Silencer Return --> Silencer Output --> Modulation/Delay/Reverb --> Amp FX Return

My settings are at 12 o'clock except for the Threshold knob which is around 10-11 o'clock

Comment

You don't have anything going to the Silencer input. I don't think that'll work. Tuner -> Input, and Send -> Compressor should work, I think.

Comment

Amp effect loops vary in level. Some are hot enough to drive the power stage of the amp.
                        Unless your preamp is super noisy, probably best to use the pedal's send/return as intended: with effects in its loop, not a preamp.
                        If the input of the gate pedal is seeing instrument level and its return jack receives line level, that could conceivably cause problems.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

If it works with pedals but not the amp’a preamp, he’s got the signal routing correct.

I think you’ve got an impedance, signal level or ground issue between the front of the amp and the loop. The best workaround is to use the input at the front of the chain, pedals in the loop and the output to the front of the amp. If you are replacing the amp long term, just deal with it like this and if not investigate the ISP or a rack gate that is designed for line level signals.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                          X