Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NPD: EHX Silencer (4 cable method troubleshooting anyone?)

Default Re: NPD: EHX Silencer (4 cable method troubleshooting anyone?)

Quote Originally Posted by Hank- View Post
    That manual is confusing to grasp, you figured out what's it saying? Does it imply the Amp Send connects to Silencer Send & Amp Return connects to Silencer Return?
    It definitely doesn't imply this. It's a logical fallacy to think that the amp's send and return should be hooked up with Silencer's send and return. If you go from the send of the pedal into the amp's return you basically go with your dry guitar signal into the power amp by skipping the preamp stage. If you match send with send and return with return, you send your guitar signal to the preamp out.

Super Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingFingertips View Post
    It definitely doesn't imply this. It's a logical fallacy to think that the amp's send and return should be hooked up with Silencer's send and return. If you go from the send of the pedal into the amp's return you basically go with your dry guitar signal into the power amp by skipping the preamp stage. If you match send with send and return with return, you send your guitar signal to the preamp out.
    That's what is confusing. The beginning of the fx loop is the Amp Send & the end point is the Amp Return, the way the manual is written, it's basically saying connect send to send & return to return. That makes zero sense, cause the results would be zero

If it's reversed then the pedal is muting the fx loop based on the guitar input signal sensitivity, but you are also sending the guitar signal to the amp return as well. The guitar signal is already present at the amp input via the pedal output. So...

Oh why don't they just provide a simple connection diagram, even a block diagram in the manuals.

But.... coming back to your problem, you do have all units on the same outlet & none of your pedal power cords are giving crackling sounds when moved? And you have an ISO supply for the pedals? In 4CM you can run across ground loops that can form depending on how the amp is designed, which can give all sorts of new problems. It might not be the pedal but a replacement would be a good option to turn to if all else fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank- View Post
    That's what is confusing. The beginning of the fx loop is the Amp Send & the end point is the Amp Return, the way the manual is written, it's basically saying connect send to send & return to return. That makes zero sense, cause the results would be zero

If it's reversed then the pedal is muting the fx loop based on the guitar input signal sensitivity, but you are also sending the guitar signal to the amp return as well. The guitar signal is already present at the amp input via the pedal output. So...

Oh why don't they just provide a simple connection diagram, even a block diagram in the manuals.

But.... coming back to your problem, you do have all units on the same outlet & none of your pedal power cords are giving crackling sounds when moved? And you have an ISO supply for the pedals? In 4CM you can run across ground loops that can form depending on how the amp is designed, which can give all sorts of new problems. It might not be the pedal but a replacement would be a good option to turn to if all else fails.
    I think the manual refers to effect pedals placed between Silencer's send and return as fx loop.

And yes, I think there's something going on between my amp and the Silencer if the pedal has no malfunction. But in that case it's easier to get another pedal.

I think the manual refers to effect pedals placed between Silencer's send and return as fx loop.

And yes, I think there's something going on between my amp and the Silencer if the pedal has no malfunction. But in that case it's easier to get another pedal.
    This is how I understood it: Manual talks about Silencers effect loop send / return which you can use to contain whole preamp (making it effectively just like the routing of NS-2 in the drawing), or just problematic effects.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    This is how I understood it: Manual talks about Silencers effect loop send / return which you can use to contain whole preamp (making it effectively just like the routing of NS-2 in the drawing), or just problematic effects.
    Nailed it!

I hope I'm getting another Silencer by the end of the week. I also ordered an NS-2. The one that won't clip shall stay!

I have two EHX digital pedals, Holy Grail and POG. Both clip easily with too high level, so it could just be that your loop is too hot.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

I hope I'm getting another Silencer by the end of the week. I also ordered an NS-2. The one that won't clip shall stay!
    The NS-2 is great.
    I have 2. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    I have two EHX digital pedals, Holy Grail and POG. Both clip easily with too high level, so it could just be that your loop is too hot.
    That's a useful information. My small stone can handle all the gain though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    The NS-2 is great.
    I have 2. Lol
    Looking forward. Still don't want to start saving for a Zuul

Looking forward. Still don't want to start saving for a Zuul
    Did you say you have an ISP Decimator too? What donít you like about that pedal?
    I have the G-String version and itís probably the best gate pedal Iíve ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Did you say you have an ISP Decimator too? What don’t you like about that pedal?
    I have the G-String version and it’s probably the best gate pedal I’ve ever owned.
    Nope, didn't say that. Don't own a G-String. Well, I don't like the price and I think in general a noise gate pedal isn't worth $250 or whatever the price is. But if I would choose among options above $200 I would grab a Zuul no doubt.

It's kinda weird that the options you have on the market are either under 100 oder above 200 (excluding gates with two jacks). I think Boss and EHX could easily make something of equal quality to G-String or Zuul for say $150. Then I would listen. This is the highest price I'm willing to pay.

I had ISP Decimator II, which was pretty useless to remove digital hiss with my pedals. When I tried to dial it, it went from nothing to cutting out my notes way too much, before reducing any noise.

They may be more suited to high gain application.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NoOnesFang13's Avatar

TBH the way im reading what the manual says, i gotta agree with those that are saying to hook the amp send to the pedal send and amp return to the pedal return. Where the labeling makes no sense in an electrical standpoint if you know how send and returns work, i think they labeled it that way for the average guitar player who has no idea about how gear actually works and would see send>send and return>return.

Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Quote Originally Posted by NoOnesFang13 View Post
    TBH the way im reading what the manual says, i gotta agree with those that are saying to hook the amp send to the pedal send and amp return to the pedal return. Where the labeling makes no sense in an electrical standpoint if you know how send and returns work, i think they labeled it that way for the average guitar player who has no idea about how gear actually works and would see send>send and return>return.
    No. Manual clearly states SEND ouputs signal and that RETURN is input.

Connecting output to output and input to input makes no sense indeed.

SEND Jack – Connect the SEND jack to the beginning of your effects loop. The output impedance is 300Ohm. The SEND jack outputs a buffered version of the signal present at the INPUT jack at all times. If you do not need to use the Silencer’s effects loop, the SEND jack could also be used to split the input signal.

RETURN Jack – Connect the end of your effects loop to the RETURN jack. The signal preset at the RETURN jack is gated by The Silencer. The input impedance is 1MOhm. If you are not using the effects loop and prefer to use The Silencer as an inline gate, do not plug anything into the RETURN jack.

Wanted to post a quick update. I sent the Silencer back und purchased a Boss NS-2.

Unfortunately, it didn't get better. The same problem but different. Instead of crackling noses, the 4CM with Boss produced very loud feedback.

Comparing the two as regards gating, I'd say Silencer gates better to my taste. But my amp hates both.
    Hate to say this, but I'm starting saving for Fortin's Zuul.

Thereís got to be a wiring issue somewhere.
    Itís very confusing when wiring a gate into the loop. I had issues for a while trying to figure mine out.
    I still do whenever I need to rewire something.
    Before you give up, give it another shot and really scrutinize every connection.
    The Boss unit is a very good gate. The fact that you have feedback is telling me something is wrong in the signal chain.

Again
    I would suggest using it like the manual says
    Not like someone on YouTube says

YouTube is full of misinformation
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)