Chapman Pro Series Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapman Pro Series Quality

I am looking into buying an SSS guitar so that I can get some sparkly, articulate and sweet clean tones as well as some grunty overdriven tones (but with a focus on nice cleans).
    I am heavily considering a chapman ML1 pro traditional as it has a great spec and is currently discounted by about 1/4 of the price. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with quality/feel/tone of the chapman pro line? I have read some really mixed reviews, with some saying it feels incredibly premium and comfortable (and is durable) and others saying that it feels average and has unreliable electronics.
    I am also considering an LTD sn1000w (which is HSS) that comes in at a similar spec and price but also has seymour duncan pickups, I can't hep but find the chapman slightly more appealing though in terms of looks woods and neck profile. Does anyone have any experience with this model as well?
    (a G&L tribute or fender player strat is also on the cards, but i feel more inclined towards one of the other two) Does anyone have any more suggestions?
    Many thanks

Re: Chapman Pro Series Quality

Never played one . . . but that's a great heel joint on the Chapman. Unreliable electronics really shouldn't make you concerned. A couple high quality pots and a new switch will set you back like 40$ tops.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

No first hand experience, but I've heard much the same as you-inconsistent execution of a good design. For me, they're a 'only buy if you can play first' guitar.

Larry

Comment

I don't know, it's contract manufacturing in South Korea with no nothing but specification from the a small UK group. Gotta be careful and make sure the one you get is dialed.

I love imports don't get me wrong -but just make sure you are reading good things -as the smaller guitar companies who use big manufacture houses don't have the onsite people overseeing the quality like the big guys -they generally contract a local manufacturer rep firm and pay for a part timer.

I've been pretty impressed with LTD stuff but no direct Chapman experience.

Not sure exactly how Chapman is structured -but just be careful if you are ordering blindly -instead of getting from a store.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I live in a place where there is only a tiny music shop with literally nothing in it, so I need to do all decision making based on what I see online. The fender deluxe roadhouse Strat is now also on the cards as an alternative....

Comment

Try one. If it sucks, return it.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              I don't know, it's contract manufacturing in South Korea with no nothing but specification from the a small UK group. Gotta be careful and make sure the one you get is dialed.

I love imports don't get me wrong -but just make sure you are reading good things -as the smaller guitar companies who use big manufacture houses don't have the onsite people overseeing the quality like the big guys -they generally contract a local manufacturer rep firm and pay for a part timer.

I've been pretty impressed with LTD stuff but no direct Chapman experience.

Not sure exactly how Chapman is structured -but just be careful if you are ordering blindly -instead of getting from a store.
              Pretty sure they're made in Indonesia now?

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
                Pretty sure they're made in Indonesia now?

Larry
                -thanks -was not aware. I still wouldn't shake a stick at a guitar from Indonesia that I could try out in the store. It's just the blind mail order from contract manufacturing overseas that you have to be studious about -If ordering blindly, I'd buy from an online retailer that is easy to send back if there is any even minor issue -like Sweetwater etc...
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I've tried a few and they seemed alright, well equipped and worthy of the price tag.

Nothing wrong with them at all.
                  Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                  Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                  Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                  Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Only ever tried one unplugged. Looked neat but the satin finish will wear quickly if it's anything like the matte finished Gibson use on some of their cheaper models. And the neck shape wasn't to my liking - very wide and thin, kinda like an Ibanez. I'd say try before you buy. They look nice enough though and IMHO, a cheaper finish that might wear isn't a deal breaker if it plays and sounds good.
                    --------------------------------------------------------
                    1973 Aria 551
                    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

The "Pro" series guitars are still made in Korea and are great instruments, easily on par with Schecter, etc.

I have an ML1 Norseman and it's fantastic in every way. Gorgeous guitar, top-notch fretwork, perfect finish, disturbingly low action, plays wonderfully. I've played other Pro-series Chapmans (Korean-made) and every one has been a very solid guitar.

However, I have noticed a greater number of manufacturing inconsistencies emerging with the non-Pro models, which are made in Indonesia. Reviews for those online are much more mixed. I haven't tried a non-Pro model in person.

Comment

Following this thread since I am quite interested in the Chapman ML2 Pro but have the same build concerns as the OP.

Comment

As long as you stick with the "Pro" series, you've got as good a chance of getting a dud or a dreamboat as with any other midrange to upper-midrange guitar brand. The fact that the OP can get one at a heavy discount is a no-brainer in my opinion

The Chapmans I have played remind me a lot of the Sterling guitars I've owned...obviously not as good as the top-notch MIJ and USA stuff, but certainly very good for the $$.

Customer ratings for most Pro models are consistently in the 4.5 to 5 star range (out of 5) on retailer sites and there's an entire forum devoted to Chapman guitars, which is another great place to inquire about player experiences and quality concerns.

Comment

Working...
                          X