banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Duncan is closest to stock Ibanez SZ520? Not the Duncan Designed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would a PATB-3 be a good match to a '59 neck?

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
      I lowered the Distortion and it's a lot better now, and as you're saying, I'm getting more mids out of it. But it's still too hot for my needs, even with volume knob way down.
      Yeah, the Distortion is a beast. If you want a mid-forward lower output type, maybe look into the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF. But keep in mind, the Distortion is going to be a lot more mid-focused by comparison.

Maybe try an A2 magnet in the Distortion first. That should lower the output and give you more mids.

Comment

The Distortion is way too much output for me, but yes I can try A2 magnet (and while at it an A4 in the '59) and maybe try a 250k volume pot to tame the highs a bit.

Comment

An A2 in a Distortion? Wouldn't that be a bit dark?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I used the PATB-3 with a 59 a while back and thought it was a decent pairing.
            If you're looking for something that's less hot for the bridge, would you consider something like the Duncan 78 or Whole Lotta Humbucker?
            While they're not necessarily screaming in the midrange, I like the character of the mids on those pickups and don't find them to be excessive hot in output.
            For that matter an Alnico IV pickup like the Saturday Night Special might be a fair option for the bridge as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              An A2 in a Distortion? Wouldn't that be a bit dark?
              Probably.

But people seem to enjoy A2 JB's, so it might work.

Comment

I lowered the Distortion a fair bit so now it's not overpowering everything, but it lost its tickness. And I cannot get alone the '59 neck, missing mids and too much highs.

I have a STK-S4 and a STK-S7 in a swamp ash Strat copy and this is the ballpark "eq wise" I'm looking for: good bass, good mids (out of the STK-S7) and not too much highs. So from there but in humbuckers and a bit more output.

Comment

I lowered the Distortion a fair bit so now it's not overpowering everything, but it lost its tickness. And I cannot get alone the '59 neck, missing mids and too much highs.

I have a STK-S4 and a STK-S7 in a swamp ash Strat copy and this is the ballpark "eq wise" I'm looking for: good bass, good mids (out of the STK-S7) and not too much highs. So from there but in humbuckers and a bit more output.
                  Possibly a Black Winter?
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I just watched the video of the '78 set from Brett Kingman on YT and I think it's heading in the right direction.
                    BTW, I ordered fillister screws, A2 and A8 magnets, a 250k pot and some resistances/capacitors to mod my Screamin Demon. That might gives the bass/mids I want and remove some highs. If not, might go with the '78 set.

Comment

The PATB-3 is an interesting beast. It's about 2/3 the winding of the PATB-1, and both have an A5 mag, but (to my ears), the PATB-3 has a bit more bite and aggression. I think it would pair well with anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

The PATB-3 is an interesting beast. It's about 2/3 the winding of the PATB-1, and both have an A5 mag, but (to my ears), the PATB-3 has a bit more bite and aggression. I think it would pair well with anything.
                        If I go with PA-TB3 bridge I think I will ditch the '59 neck and go with PA-TB1n.

Comment

If I go with PA-TB3 bridge I think I will ditch the '59 neck and go with PA-TB1n.
                          It's a perfect match.

Comment

I received and installed an A8 magnet, replaced the hex screws with fillister screws, soldered an 476k resistor to the volume pot, played with height of the pickups and the screws. The Screamin Demon is still to bright and 2-dimensional (compared to my strat with STK-S7 in the bridge). Same with the '59n.

I think a Rio Grande BBQ will be too hot for my taste (and not available in Canada).
                            Trying a A2P/Slash set is like $400 and no 21 days exchange policy here north of the border.
                            Maybe I'll try an EMG Fat 55 set as I don't have to solder and can return if I don't like it.

Comment

Working...
                            X