Bass advice - Ibanez SR505 vs Fender J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bass advice - Ibanez SR505 vs Fender J

Been having the 4 vs 5 string discussion with bass players. I really think there isn't much need for the 5 string. It's a nice to have.

One thing they pointed out was that the "low notes" are not the biggest best reason for them. It's playing busy lines in 5th position.

I don't play "busy lines" or deep Jazz/Pop so I'll likely stick to 4 strings in the future. I do have a 5 though. But mostly I just rest my thumb on the 5th string.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I absolutely love playing with a 5 string player.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        Been having the 4 vs 5 string discussion with bass players. I really think there isn't much need for the 5 string. It's a nice to have.

One thing they pointed out was that the "low notes" are not the biggest best reason for them. It's playing busy lines in 5th position.

I don't play "busy lines" or deep Jazz/Pop so I'll likely stick to 4 strings in the future. I do have a 5 though. But mostly I just rest my thumb on the 5th string.
        Never gone to a rehearsal with a new singer who cannot sings the song you practice for many hours in the same key as the record?
        String spacing on a 5-string is often narrower than its 4-string counterpart, which I prefer.
        Downtuning a 4-string bass to Eb or D is not as straightforward as changing string gauge on a guitar (like going from 9 to 10 or 11 or 12). Bigger bass strings sometime don't fit the bridge.
        The B-string thumb rest is also very efficient. I can play my E string with the same "travel" with my right fingers as the other strings. So I'm getting a better string-to-string uniformity.
        It's a personal choice. Since I'm playing 5-string basses, I don't use my 4-string basses at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I absolutely love playing with a 5 string player.
          Who has a good five string.
          Still waiting on being able to upgrade mine.
          Meanwhile my Ibanez 695EX four string tuned down to D will have to suffice.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I just got a cheap SR370E last year or so and I love it. I'm pretty much a guitar player who never went near a bass guitar in the 25+ years I've been playing, but then when one came up for sale locally practically unused I decided it might be a cool thing to have & grabbed it for a decent price.

It's easy as hell to play & I've kind of got the hang of making it sound pretty sweet in a mix too ..lot's of cool/very usable tones! Really could'nt be happier with it though I've never played another bass before or since so who knows how it compares to what's out there

Totally serves my purposes though..I'm glad I bought it.
            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Minor update, I ended up recording a track with his parts J Bass and really like how it turned out. Once it's back from mastering I'll post up in Tips & Clips!

Definitely has that Jazz Bass tone. The Ibanez can mimic it pretty well, but can do its own thing too. I think I like having the 5th string just to know it's there, if I need to play something below the Low E I have options.

To throw a curveball, the same buddy has been unloading a bunch of gear and has an American Deluxe Dimension Bass (4-string) for sale which he let me borrow. AFAIK it is Fender's answer to the Stingray but has never been very popular

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
              • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
              • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
              • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
              • G&L Tribute Comanche
              • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
              • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
              • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I've been playing a passive Warmoth 4-string J-Bass for 12 years now. I dig it.

I recorded and was gigging for years using a passive 4-string Deluxe Fender P-Bass featuring a Jazz neck (from the factory this way) and the P+J pickup combo, I used this bass from the late 90s to about 2005. Great bass. I actually like the thin-at-the-nut Jazz neck profile. Then I went to an entry level active MM Stingray for a few years. I personally prefer the fat active MM tones, but, passive tones have their place in my heart as well. After the MM I built two 4 string Warmoth Jazz basses, one active and one passive. I kept the passive one, sold the active one to a good friend of mine who proceeded to rip the active electronics out of it and use it as a passive bass. He loved it.

Never played the SR505 and I have never experimented much with 5 strings. They are cool, but just not for me. I am a finger player, I have used picks but I pretty much never use picks when playing bass anymore. I am not a slapper or a popper either.

In the end, the best way to buy a bass for the purpose of having one is to do exactly what you are doing. Trying them out and deciding which one works best for your needs!
                Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                X