Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real! outboard spring reverb unit, (for use in effects loop)-

Well,

I love my Blackstar HT-20mkII, but I don't really like it's onboard digital reverb. It's boring, and way too "short"-

So I'm thinking about saving up for some kind of outboard, real spring reverb unit, and place it in the effects loop.

I've seen a Fender, tube driven one, but it was about as expensive as my amp :o
    And the Danelectro "Spring King", if it's still being made; though that's a bit too far on the "cheap side" again-

Of course I could try google this aswell,

just wondering if anyone had some tips.

Thanks
    -Erl
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Re: Real! outboard spring reverb unit, (for use in effects loop)-

^^ thanks

I'll check it out.
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I heard you could modify the Spring King to get rid of the "pre delay" that some people thinks destroys the tone of the pedal.

If i could "mix it in" with the onboard digital delay; i'd get further down towards my goal path.

Comment

A real accutronics spring tank, like my old Marshall had, would do the business...

:/

I don't like digital stuff. Never did. :/

Comment

That Pedal Show on YouTube have done great vids on these pedals - cant remember the name of the pedal, but the one they use often in other vids is red, with a whale graphic on it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Watch the whole thing, for sure - but the red pedal is a Crazy Tube Circuits White Whale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I think a great digital unit will give you want you want here, as well as a longer 'spring' sound, too, without the size and fragility of a outboard spring unit, which really does only one thing.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

^^ thank you for the tip Mincer,

But I'm quite a wierdo and would really prefer a real spring reverb unit.

thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                  ^^ thank you for the tip Mincer,

But I'm quite a wierdo and would really prefer a real spring reverb unit.

thank you!
                  Unfortunately a 'real' spring reverb with decent build quality is going to cost as much as an amp or very close. If you're looking to emulate classic amp tones, I can't recommend the Strymon Flint highly enough. Spring, plate, and hall reverbs in addition to the most amp-like tremolo I've ever heard.
                  Last edited by dystrust; 06-09-2020, 05:28 PM.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Save your money man.....listen to Mincer, a good digital pedal will give you a stunning array of choices as well as a great spring verb sounds.
                    If I were you I’d get a good pedal and save my money for a better amp.
                    The Blackstar that I have is an all Tube head. I paid $300 for it.
                    Yes it has digital reverb but I think it sounds great.

Comment

No gear - just play. Use a delay.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yep, a nice spring reverb pedal like the boss FRV 1. is way better that wasting money on that big unit.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                          Yep, a nice spring reverb pedal like the boss FRV 1. is way better that wasting money on that big unit.
                          They were a great option back when they were still in production, but these days the used prices are just insane.

I'm not sure about Europe, but here they're going for $180 plus on the used market and they're just not worth that much IMO. While a Strymon Flint costs a little more, it's a far more capable pedal.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Digital spring emulation isn't as popular as I would think. I am not surprised that Fender's digital 'spring' reverb is something that is pretty hot now. I wonder if they have replaced it in their line?
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Yamaha MagicStomp II is also a great reverb. Even though it's a multi-effects unit, I use it almost exclusively for reverb. Both the spring and plate settings are very realistic, warm and organic.

On the other hand, if you must go with real springs, and if you have some DIY skills, and if you can live with dealing with an external wet/dry mix solution . . . the PAiA Hot Springs Reverb is a nice solution. It uses twin tanks, RWRP to be "boing-free", like a humbucker. Great design from Craig Anderton.

Comment

Working...
                              X