banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible wiring issue with Black Winter, DIY HUMB, mod and noise on volume change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible wiring issue with Black Winter, DIY HUMB, mod and noise on volume change

I recently bought SD Black Winter and installed it in my guitar thus replacing the stock 2 wire humbucker that was installed there on the bridge position, 2nd pickup is stock and it's also a 2 wire one, I did follow the wiring diagram for 2H 1V 1T 3 Way Switch diagram that's on the site but it seems like I've done something wrong, volume and tone work in all 3 positions but 2nd one where it's supposed to use both seems to sounds kinda thin, as if there was no low end and overall it's sounds kinda weird. Could this be a phase issue? I'm attaching photo of my wiring as well as simplified drawing of it since it may be difficult to follow what goes where. Basically there is no push pull, no coil split or anything, I just want it to work how it did with previous configuration - that is neck, neck + bridge and bridge, I might want to add coil split on the SD BW later though so I'd like to get both correct diagram for current setup as well as info how to add coil split later (I'd be drilling new hole and adding simple switch since I prefer that over push/pull). Unless maybe it's just how Black Winter sounds with that other pickup... please take a look at my mess and tell me if everything is connected correctly, I do have some cables kinda spliced together but I can assure that all solder points are good, and it may look like a cable that goes from 2nd leg of VOL pot goes to solder blob on tone... but it only looks like it, it just goes into the black cable and connects with the tip on the jack, sleeve is connected to the blob on tone pot.

Here are some pictures and a simple drawing, I only marked colors of pickups in it, rest is just represented with black lines: https://imgur.com/a/uNUPRBO

2nd issue is with my Tele, I bought a really cheap Harley Benton one just because it was so cheap but I have an issue that no matter if I'm running neck or bridge single coil or combine them both by switching it to middle position there is a lot of noise when I turn volume knob, basically to not get extreme amounts of noise it must be either all the way up or all the way down, tone doesn't affect it. And I don't mean that there is a noise when I turn the knob, the noise is just louder if the knob is set to anthing other than 0 or max value. I didn't do anything with it yet or touch the wiring at all, it was like this since I bought it so I'd like to ask what could be the cause. Faulty wiring? Bad or lack of shielding? Grounding cable was attached though. Or maybe it's just really ****ty volume knob or those single coils? Here is a picture of the wiring and another simple drawing of it so it's easier to get around it: https://imgur.com/a/fgTbLW2

If I fix this I'd like to also add some stuff to it - to be precise I want to add that 2 wire humbucker from the 1st guitar and mount it in the middle position and also add a DIY 4 wire humbucker that I'm winding coils for right now and also have a coil split on that last humbucker with additional switch, that way it would be:
    1st position - neck single
    2nd position - humbucker (2 wire)
    3rd position - DIY humbucker (4 wire) + switch for coil split.
    Unless that's not possible with this kind of switch, in that case I'll be ordering 5 way switch later.

Eventually I'd like however to add also a piezo to it a separate knob that could be used to mix in pickup only sounds, piezo only sounds and both with equal volume at 5/10 position but that's a thing for later and another thread, I'm already busy putting up DIY cymbals form my e-drums (hence the piezos which I bought wayyy to many and now I need to use them up for something :P ).
    Last edited by NeedsMoreCowbell; 06-02-2020, 12:40 PM.

Re: Possible wiring issue with Black Winter, DIY HUMB, mod and noise on volume change

to fix the thin sound
    swap the green and black wires on the 4 wire pickup
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Re: Possible wiring issue with Black Winter, DIY HUMB, mod and noise on volume change

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, to get the BW in phase, which sounds like the issue, swap the black and green wires. For the Tele, it sounds like there could be some weird issue with the switch. I am not sure of the positions on that import 3 way switch, what you want wouldn't be possible with the stock switch. You could get more discreet switching options with a super 5 way switch. If you order a super 5 way, you'd be rewiring it, anyway, so it might not be worth tracking down what the issue is with that switch.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Weird though, cause the BW seems to be wired up correctly with black as hot and green to ground...:/ Could it be that the neck hb is made in completely the opposite phase?

As for the vol.pot noise, I'm guessing bad ground soldering, third lug not grounded properly or something to that effect.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
          Weird though, cause the BW seems to be wired up correctly with black as hot and green to ground...:/ Could it be that the neck hb is made in completely the opposite phase?

As for the vol.pot noise, I'm guessing bad ground soldering, third lug not grounded properly or something to that effect.
          This is what I was thing

SD uses a north start polarity
          Fender uses a south start
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Phase of pickups isn't universal (though it probably should be).
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for replies, I was expecting to get bashed in the head with a warning for posting about 2 issues at the same time in one thread (that was my first one anyway) :P

I'll swap the wires and see if that fixes it. I was also shopping for some stuff and ordered new 5 way switch like you guys suggested so I'll try (need it anyway for 3rd pickup I want to mount there along with that DIY humbucker) to swap it and also re solder everything to see if the noise stops, even though I can't believe bad solder could cause noise in this case but I guess you are the experts
              Last edited by NeedsMoreCowbell; 06-05-2020, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X