Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ibanez JEM and PIA

Default Re: Ibanez JEM and PIA

Quote Originally Posted by orpheo View Post
    That guitar is no longer being made, the Richie Faulker V. Sorry buddy. Same for the Bonamassa. They were cheaper, a lot cheaper, when released but prices have gone up because of ...

The market. people want them because they're rare, limited. Sorry dude, you're way off mark.

And if you're tired by getting ripped off, that's because you're letting yourself to be ripped off. If you don't want to buy it, don't. Businesses aren't stupid, they price their goods according to what the market wants to pay. If you google Epiphone's now and see what's the most expensive production guitar they make now, that's not made in the USA, you get a guitar around 850-900 bucks. I did my homework, will you do that too and scream a bit less and think a bit more?
    Not "screaming" and i don't get "ripped off." As for the JEM they sold us on the Vai "made in Japan" quality for 30+ years but now there must be 50 different JEM models with God knows what parts made where. It cheapens the brand. To be honest i wouldn't touch a JEM with a 10 foot pole having no idea what its worth or if i would ever get my money out of it. "Epiphone in the 1990's was made in Japan/then Korea/now China. I had an Chinese. Epi "Custom Shop" Dot 335. It was okay but it was still just A $400 guitar. Can't say id ever buy another. Epi "Custom Shop" is just a marketing term as those are made the same way/same place as all the other Epi China stuff. I have a MIK by Sammick Epi Chet Atkins SST, its decent Made of real Mahogany/Spruce but that was when they made better guitars. Problem is people buy @ Chinese Epi prices & try to sell for Gibson made in USA premium because they are under the delusion their Chinese guitar is some kind of quality its not. MIM Fender Strats & Tele's used to be $350 brand new all day long. My Craigslist right now has a guy trying to sell 3 of those for almost $700 each because thats what Fender is trying to sell them for now. Sorry thats never going to happen with me. Not sure which Planet he lives on. On the very same CL page is a USA made Fender Stratocaster for $650, go figure.

*** And now : back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 06-08-2020 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JMP/HBE View Post
    Not "screaming" and i don't get "ripped off." As for the JEM they sold us on the Vai "made in Japan" quality for 30+ years but now there must be 50 different JEM models with God knows what parts made where. It cheapens the brand.
    The JEM Jr is a cheap PoS. As far as the others, some of the MII Premiums are supposed to be well made, but meh. As far as knowing which ones are which, while it's pretty obvious, weren't you the one recommending the Google Fu on the previous page.

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    The JEM Jr is a cheap PoS. As far as the others, some of the MII Premiums are supposed to be well made, but meh. As far as knowing which ones are which, while it's pretty obvious, weren't you the one recommending the Google Fu on the previous page.
    https://pics.me.me/ifit-is-on-the-in...n-30312354.png

Google aint going to do you any good after you drop $2.5K on a JEM only to get it home & find out 1/2 or all of it is made in Indonesia.
    And like i said i was looking to buy a JEM and searched the internet extensively. It was made in Indonesia but Ibanez was very vague & ambiguous with any info about the guitar made in the last year which seemed deceptive to me. Hence my "heads up" post here in this thread.
    Seems Ibanez being "less than forthcoming" is the way they want it.
    Seems Ibanez considers Indonesian made guitars price on point with made in Japan.
    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 06-09-2020 at 07:11 AM.

Ultimate Tone Member

Mind you, its not the geographical location that sets the price, but the actual quality. And the market, which is willing to pay up fir a made in usa or made in japan sticker.

Super Toneologist Obsessive Compulsive's Avatar

What's wrong with Ibanez being made in Indonesia? You do realize Ibanez don't actually manufacture them, Fujigen does. Now Cort is doing it, under Ibanez's standards.

But yeah those prices are indeed ridiculous. Imagine the company's profits now with labor is cheaper.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_X00RD mit Tapatalk

Years ago. No JEM's are MIJ anymore. Its all Indonesian crap that has no resale value. The JEM's don't even have Vai's sig on them anymore. Pia is supposedly mij but who knows how much of it really is made somewhere else & "assembled" in Japan. I had a chance to get a nice JEM from a guy who was new to recovery & strung out on drugs. Being that ive been sober almost 20 years i chose not to take advantage of the situation for personal gain. The guitar was nice but made in Indonesia & basically worthless as you'll never get your money back when you try to sell it. Any JEM with the 5 piece walnut/maple neck its almost always 100% Indonesian. I got rid of all my shredder guitars 15 years ago. Ibanez/Jackson/Peavey Vandenbergs. There is no value in that crap.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAPIA...iABEgK-A_D_BwE

And the Pia is $3500 bucks, hardly cheap. Ya played one Ibanez you've played them all.

Pia is just a JEM with gold tone hardware for an extra $2K.
    Have you ever played a Jen before or are you just pissed cause except for the big two, everything is from Asia.

To my knowledge Jem bears no Vai sig, except for the LNG which he personally signed. And they've been 5 piece maple-walnut combo just like Japanese RGs in general.

You know what, my Indonesian RGs actually have less flaws compared to the MIJ RG655. My MIJ Charvel So Cal was almost unplayable because the neck was bowed downward permanently.

And I have walked away from an RG652 cause the neck again, was suspiciously uneven. I ain't payin' a thousand for a guitar with potential neck problem. It was highly regarded model but moderately overrated.

So MIJ guitars don't mean quality any more.

The only thing that make the MIJ Ibanez feel premium are the smooth silky satin finish on the neck, and the plush hardcase.

If you're looking for the best bang for the buck, buy Korean Schecters.
    Last edited by Obsessive Compulsive; 06-10-2020 at 03:19 AM.

Super Toneologist The JEM Ghost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
    The only thing that make the MIJ Ibanez feel premium are the smooth silky satin finish on the neck, and the plush hardcase.
    Not all Japanese made Ibanez guitars come with a case anymore, the Genesis series comes in a cardboard box, not even a gigbag... Cheap bastards!!
    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

https://pics.me.me/ifit-is-on-the-in...n-30312354.png

Google aint going to do you any good after you drop $2.5K on a JEM only to get it home & find out 1/2 or all of it is made in Indonesia.
    And like i said i was looking to buy a JEM and searched the internet extensively. It was made in Indonesia but Ibanez was very vague & ambiguous with any info about the guitar made in the last year which seemed deceptive to me. Hence my "heads up" post here in this thread.
    Seems Ibanez being "less than forthcoming" is the way they want it.
    Seems Ibanez considers Indonesian made guitars price on point with made in Japan.
    It says where it was made on the back of the headstock. Premiums are Indonesia (they have a "P" at the end of the model number), Jrs are crap. None of the MII Premiums go for over $2k, which one did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by The JEM Ghost View Post
    Not all Japanese made Ibanez guitars come with a case anymore, the Genesis series comes in a cardboard box, not even a gigbag... Cheap bastards!!
    Yes, but the cardbox is MIJ, while the case is MIC...lol.

Ultimate Tone Member

To be honest, I'd rather the builders spend the price of that case on 20 minutes more of QC. People would be happier with theirgiitars. Sh!t guitar in case<<<<<better built guitar in cardboard box (esp. if it's Japanese cardboard! )

Quote Originally Posted by nexion218 View Post
    To be honest, I'd rather the builders spend the price of that case on 20 minutes more of QC. People would be happier with theirgiitars. Sh!t guitar in case<<<<<better built guitar in cardboard box (esp. if it's Japanese cardboard! )
    The 550 is so tough it travels across the world in a corrugated box.

Have you ever played a Jen before or are you just pissed cause except for the big two, everything is from Asia.

To my knowledge Jem bears no Vai sig, except for the LNG which he personally signed. And they've been 5 piece maple-walnut combo just like Japanese RGs in general.

You know what, my Indonesian RGs actually have less flaws compared to the MIJ RG655. My MIJ Charvel So Cal was almost unplayable because the neck was bowed downward permanently.

And I have walked away from an RG652 cause the neck again, was suspiciously uneven. I ain't payin' a thousand for a guitar with potential neck problem. It was highly regarded model but moderately overrated.

So MIJ guitars don't mean quality any more.

If you're looking for the best bang for the buck, buy Korean Schecters.
    lol ..... not buying a Schec-turd. Absolutely worthless guitars. You seem to totally miss the point of buying/selling cheap worthless [in value] pointy guitars.
    Next someone is going to try to sell me on the virtues of Bitcoin.

But i can't really fault companies that market cheap guitars to folks like the guy above because there will always be a market for "those guys".
    Guitar Centers & Craiglists around the world are chocked full of substandard gear.
    Sucker born every minute.
    Party on Wayne.
    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 06-11-2020 at 04:58 AM.

Ultimate Tone Member

The 550 is so tough it travels across the world in a corrugated box
    Not saying that a paper box holds a better guitar, I just meant that I have nothing against a manufacturer not packing a case together with the product, as long as the money saved on not including the case gets spent on making a better product. So if I had the choice of having a 1500 USD guitar with B- fretwork but case included or the same guitar with A+ fretwork but no case, I'd choose the latter.