• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume Pedal - (passive) - what to get, and avoid? :o

Decided that my next gear purchase will be a passive volume pedal;

between guitar and amp.

I spend way too much time fiddling with the amp's volume, guitar volume-
    and I'd rather turn the amp up quite loud, and control everything with my foot

But there is a myriad of brands and price ranges.

What to get,

and what to avoid?

Thanks,
    -Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Re: Volume Pedal - (passive) - what to get, and avoid? :o

Make sure you get a high impedance one - 250k, not a low impedance - 25k. I've heard good things about the Ernie Balls but I've never used one. I had an old Boss FV500 that I really liked, I currently have a Vox one, looks like a blue Vox wah, it works fine.

Comment

+1 on the FV500

Comment

I love my Ernie Ball pedals. Incredibly sturdy, and feels great under the foot, with a really wide sweep.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I just got two in the mail last week
          The sonicake Vexpress is passive
          And if you get it from China, it's cheap $27
          Also the Behringer fcv100 which isn't passive as it takes 9 volt power . I'll look when I get back home to see if it has the option
          But it's also $27
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Thanks for the tips, guys-

I'll have to see what is aviable, as I'm in Norway, and not everything gets stocked here .

I start thinking about everything i "want", but then I just become depressed;
            so I have to focus the other way around, and be happy with what I got!

I hope I'll be able to record some of my music soon, and share with you.

Thanks
            -Erlend
            If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I have two Boss FV500's; they're good when they work, but use cheap pot, that will get crackly easily (doesn't like cold). It's special item you only get from Roland service and costs 45 €...

EB feels better to use, but is insanely annoying and difficult to get working properly if you have to fix it. I spent a week tinkering with mine after changing the string... Then sold it for someone else to deal with.

When my current FV-500 wears out, I won't be looking either of those options... Though I do like the desing overall; solid aluminum and jacks at the top.
              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

^^ thanks.

I'll look now, for what alternatives I got .

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                  Thanks for the tips, guys-

I'll have to see what is aviable, as I'm in Norway, and not everything gets stocked here .

I start thinking about everything i "want", but then I just become depressed;
                  so I have to focus the other way around, and be happy with what I got!

I hope I'll be able to record some of my music soon, and share with you.

Thanks
                  -Erlend
                  Honestly, a lesson for all of us to learn.

Comment

I've got a Boss FV500H. Works great and seems built well as we expect from Boss stuff. It is big though so if space is at a premium that could be a deal breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
                      I've got a Boss FV500H. Works great and seems built well as we expect from Boss stuff. It is big though so if space is at a premium that could be a deal breaker.
                      Yea, it's built like a tank outside, but when open it, the pot inside is open miniature Alpha lookalike you find everywhere dirt cheap. Except it has unique taper you get only from Roland. It's not sturdy and sealed as you'd expect for a foot pedal.
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

I'm not sure I've ever seen a "sealed" passive volume pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          I'm not sure I've ever seen a "sealed" passive volume pedal.
                          I meant the pot inside pedal

Like this (in EB Junior)
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	10817586_800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	5820743

Compared to one in FV-500:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20180724_203100.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	5820744

(Funny, almost all pictures of it I found by google search were from my thread here about modding it...)

Comment

I haven't really found any volume pedals that I've liked, but the Ernie Ball was the best of the group for me.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            Honestly, a lesson for all of us to learn.
                            I've gone through so much gear over the years that I've finally hit the point where I'm not really tempted by stuff when I walk into a music store anymore. I love all the cool stuff, but my kemper does everything I need and then some. Same with guitars, I almost never find one that plays or sounds better for me than the ones I have. After the first few trips to the store and feeling that, it was a little depressing. I got caught up in the rush of buying for the sake of buying or trying to purchase talent. Now, I play what I have and if it doesn't sound the way I want, I know that the change has to come from me and not the gear.
                            Last edited by chadd; 06-05-2020, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                              I haven't really found any volume pedals that I've liked, but the Ernie Ball was the best of the group for me.

I've gone through so much gear over the years that I've finally hit the point where I'm not really tempted by stuff when I walk into a music store anymore. I love all the cool stuff, but my kemper does everything I need and then some. Same with guitars, I almost never find one that plays or sounds better for me than the ones I have. After the first few trips to the store and feeling that, it was a little depressing. I got caught up in the rush of buying for the sake of buying or trying to purchase talent. Now, I play what I have and if it doesn't sound the way I want, I know that the change has to come from me and not the gear.
                              Same here. I also don't like researching gear more than actually playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X