banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgraded my Champ clone with new/NOS valves -- sounds great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded my Champ clone with new/NOS valves -- sounds great!

Now that I'm back in recording mode again, a quick inspection of my amplifiers showed that a couple needed some TLC, particularly my Lil Dawg Champster, which had developed a hum and I suspected that v1 was shot. I purchased the Champster 4-5 years ago and it's a great Champ circuit guitar head for a not a lot of money. (I think I paid $600 in total for the head). Having just 3 valves, I was able to upgrade the 6V6 to something a bit more esoteric, and I grabbed an NOS mid 50s/60s Sylvania 6V6. It's physically smaller than the JJ that shipped with the amp and I was excited to try a period-accurate valve in there.

The sound is definitely different! The output is a bit lower (6dB I would guess) compared to the JJ, but that's what the volume control is for. Exchanging the JJ in V1 for a modern Mullard further darkened the tone a bit and gave the amp a warmer/darker, overall tone, but still has plenty of clarity. Pushed into drive with an MXR distortion+, with a Marshall 2x12 loaded with Eminence Wizards, this amp is L O U D on its own and really dynamic.

Since I don't like squeaky clean guitar parts, even when playing 'clean', I really like the tone of the Sylvania 6V6. Adding in a few modulation options for recording (strymon DECO, MXR script Phase 90, MXR Micro Flange, BOSS RT-20), and using my HS-3 loaded Strat, the sound took on a distinctly 70s style sound.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the upgrade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200526_173314.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	5854533Click image for larger version

Name:	20200526_190225.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	5854534
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Upgraded my Champ clone with new/NOS valves -- sounds great!

Cool! I'm surprised the mullard was darker than the JJ. Was that an ECC83S? I found those were pretty dark to begin with.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Wonderful! I love Sylvania 6v6. Used it with the tweaker!
      I dislike jj 6v6 unless you specifically want darker tone and more headroom/harder sounding breakup, they are built way sturdy though!
      I can imagine how different your amp sounds now. Bet it rules!

Comment

i like jj 6v6 but they arent very representitive of a typical 6v6. louder and with some 6l6 flavor. enjoy the new tones

Comment

Looks like such a clean simple amp. Bet it’s great with pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            Cool! I'm surprised the mullard was darker than the JJ. Was that an ECC83S? I found those were pretty dark to begin with.
            Yes, an ECC83S. I always find the JJs to be more forward in the upper mids than Mullard.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
              Wonderful! I love Sylvania 6v6. Used it with the tweaker!
              I dislike jj 6v6 unless you specifically want darker tone and more headroom/harder sounding breakup, they are built way sturdy though!
              I can imagine how different your amp sounds now. Bet it rules!
              Thanks! Yes, it sounds quite different, really smoothed out now!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                i like jj 6v6 but they arent very representitive of a typical 6v6. louder and with some 6l6 flavor. enjoy the new tones
                So true! There was a definite volume drop with the Sylvania, totally not a deal-breaker for me, but definitely noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                  Looks like such a clean simple amp. Bet it’s great with pedals.
                  It is! But you have to do a bit of experimentation to find the right drive pedals for it since it doesn't have an EQ. The bottom is actually a piece of clear plexiglass so you can see the circuit. Looks beautiful!

Comment

Working...
                  X