Any love left for the C8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any love left for the C8?

I've had the same SH-5 for over a decade, and I have an assortment of magnets for swapping. For some reason, I keep going back to the A8 in the Custom wind. I'm using it with a JazzN, split coils, in a Gibson Explorer Pro.

Trust me, I know the SH-5 is not the right spacing for this guitar. It should be a TB-5, but it's a mistake I made over 10 years ago, and that mistake is still there.

So yeah, any love left for the C8? You don't hear about it alot anymore.
    Last edited by Bronze Buzzard; 06-03-2020, 09:36 PM.
    I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Re: Any love left for the C8?

Definitely still a great pickup, I've got it in my Schecter C-1 Classic now and had it in a black LP copy for several years before.

Jolly's thread gushing about it being a perfect pickup says it all. I like that it's a tad rounder and thicker without losing the Custom attack and clarity. It's not going anywhere, but a lot of forum bros know how awesome it is!

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

It's perfect for my particular guitar. It's like 15% smaller explorer body, maple cap, and naturally has a high mid issue. That thickness and roundness you speak of help fix that guitar, and the coil split shines without getting to spanky on the highs when you dig in.

Definitely a treat to play with.

Comment

There are a ton of C8 fans on this board, although I have never tried one. I love the Custom wind, though, although with either A2 or A5 mags.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I’ve got a Custom 8 in two guitars right now, and I’ve thought about picking up a third to replace the JB in my HH Telecaster. It’s been my favorite pickup for several years now.

Comment

I had the C8 in several guitars. Did not like it in a LesPaul and in a warm Super Strat. It needs a brite guitar to show enough presence and cut in the mix.
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I wish I had the chance to try all of these pickups I've heard about...

But I've either had strats, or P90 guitars

If I get a guitar with humbuckers, I need to try "them all" , atleast experiment with different magnets..!
              If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I've never tried an A8 mag. But I love both the C5 and C2. (Custom wind.) So, what exactly would I hear by going from C5 to C8?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  I've never tried an A8 mag. But I love both the C5 and C2. (Custom wind.) So, what exactly would I hear by going from C5 to C8?
                  In my personal opinion, it makes it a more powerful C5. The Custom is very tight and articulate to me. I call it the tattle tale pup, and it is my favorite pup. Has been for more than a decade.

The A8 in that wind to me, fills in that bottom that I've always felt the custom kind of lacks. It thickens it up a little, but retains clarity and articulation. It almost feels like the mid drops a little, but that's probably just the pronounced bottom end it gains. The high end doesn't jump out like C5 does either. Like someone else said, it kind of rounds it out.

In short, more bottom and power, but retains clarity and articulation. It stays tight.

Comment

That's interesting, because I always thought of the C5 as a fairly powerful pup. I've got a C5 sitting here collecting dust. I may need to hit someone up for an A8 mag.

Comment

That's interesting, because I always thought of the C5 as a fairly powerful pup. I've got a C5 sitting here collecting dust. I may need to hit someone up for an A8 mag.
                      It is, actually...and usually used in heavier music. I use a C5 in a very mid-heavy guitar, and it tamps down those mids since it so severely scooped.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've got you covered

Comment

The C5/59 combo was my 1st set of Duncan pups. I tended to use them together. (Both on at the same time.) I think the 59 may have filled that hole. But I'm hijacking this thread.

Comment

PM sent Artie

Comment

Got it. Thanks bro.

Comment

Working...
                              X