7 String Bridge pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 String Bridge pickup

I have a Schecter 7 string hardtail bridge with a bolt on Neck and it has a Dimarzio Crunch Lab in the Bridge. I play in a rock cover band and have been thinking of taking out the crunch lab(I play through a Helix on a high gain amp setting).

I think the Crunch lab is just a little too "crunchy" for me personally and I need something that is a little more Rock with attitude and not quite as "Progressive sounding"

I have recently been debating on a Seymour Duncan Custom 7 or a Dimarzio D Sonic. I know the D sonic is also a John Petrucci Pickup but when I read the description it seems to have a little more low end and not quite as mid range as the crunch lab.

Does anyone have any experience with a D sonic and a Custom? If so, could you please share your experience? I am looking for something with a little more fullness in tone with good harmonic response.

Re: 7 String Bridge pickup

After my brief experience with 7 string, I can only recommend one pup. I hate to break SD taboo, but Titan, Titan, Titan.

That thing is a monster, and I use a C8 in my explorer. Top string is 54, and I I'm always at least a half step down if not more, and dropped.

If I'm not mistaken, we used to have a member here by the name of Bulb, that could probably tell you all about it. Lol!
    Last edited by Bronze Buzzard; 06-03-2020, 10:18 PM.
    I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Comment

Thank you for the recommendation. I play down a half step too with the band I play in. I checked out the Titan and it is very impressive although I think it may be a little too much for what I need. Having said that, your recommendation helped me realize that the Custom would be the choice for my needs. Thank you for the help!!

Comment

Hard to go wrong with a Custom. If they make an A8 magnet big enough for it, it's well worth the try. Probably won't need it in a 7 though.
        I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Comment

The Custom is my pick for an all around hard rock in a cover band. A JB is another good choice, especially if your covers lean toward 80s hard rock.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thank you, Mincer! I have used the JB before and wanted a ceramic mag for the 7 string, a little tighter bass. I did have a JB in a strat with 250 k pots and it was great!

Comment

Working...
            X