Strat neck choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat neck choice

Trigger warning- contains four fifths Dimarzio content!

So, I have a regular ass Strat (Alder body, vintage trem, Maple/rosewood neck S/S/S).

My bridge is a DMZ Virtual Solo, middle is a Dmz Injector Neck model.
    The 3 Neck p'ups I'm considering are the Little '59, DMZ Injector Neck, DMZ Heavy Blues 2.

I am more concerned with how the pickups sound on their own- for example, I often play the middle by itself and am not wedded to having "quack" in the notch positions.

Right now I have a DMZ Area 61 in the neck. I think it sounds great, but I want more power and mids and it doesn't necessarily have to have a classic Strat neck sound.

99% of the time I play with a light crunch tone.

So does anyone have experience with all 3 of the pickups I am considering for the neck slot (Little 59, Injector neck, Heavy Blues 2) to guide me one way or another?

Thanks

Re: Strat neck choice

Well, not all 3, but the neck Little 59 is a warm pickup, with vintage output- great for light crunch tones. It doesn't do the metal thing without a boost, but that is probably not your intention. It is mid-focused in a very musical, singing way.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You’ve got an Injector neck now, what do you think? For me it’s still really Stratty, for what you describe I’d want at least the Heavy Blues 2, and probably the lil 59.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Have you tried the Injector Neck in the neck?

Are you using 500k control pots? I'm not sure about the Virtual solo, but the other 2 Dimarzios you have would be better with 500k pots. Some people like the Virtual solo with 500k controls, but it will be brighter for sure..
        Last edited by Teleplayer; 06-04-2020, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
          Have you tried the Injector Neck in the neck?

Are you using 500k control pots? I'm not sure about the Virtual solo, but the other 2 Dimarzios you have would be better with 500k pots. Some people like the Virtual solo with 500k controls, but it will be brighter for sure..
          I always use 500k pots.

Comment

I tried the Heavy blues 2 and the Little 59. I thought they were a bit too warm and lacked definition, depending how much gain was used. For me I prefer the Duncan Cool Rails, but I think the Dimarzio Fast track 1 would also work with your setup. I'm going for a bright humbucker that has some single coil vibe. Cool Rails gives more output than the little 59 once you get it close enough to the strings. Fast Track 1 is probably between the Cool rails and little 59 in terms of output.

Comment

I really dig my injector neck in the neck.

FWIW I had a fast track 1 in the neck before it and do not miss it one bit. Similar ouput but the injector has more stratty high end and character. FT1 is a bit flat and definitely "ceramic". Injector is A2 and you can hear it.

Duncan rails and stacks are usually ceramic aside from the red devils btw.

Comment

Why don't you swap the 61 and injector and go from there? Should be pretty much what you're after.

Comment

Working...
                X