Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stack Plus vs true single coil

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I agree, except that I'd replace "period" with "comma." If you have provision for a 9-volt battery, the Livewire Classic II's do the same. And on that happy note, I hope the new webpage is incomplete, because it doesn't look like they make them anymore.

IMHO, the difference between the traditional SSL-1/2's, and pups like the STK's and Livewires, is very subtle. If you play your Strat straight to a clean amp, then I believe you can tell the difference. Add in any pedal, or amp "drive", and that subtleness goes out the window. Just my 2-cents worth.
    That's fair, as I hadn't tried those Livewires. Another great option is the SSL-2 pickups in some Ernie Ball pickups, used with an active dummy coil. Those sound amazing, too. I guess I just don't like noise. I have a traditional Strat, but I don't play it much anymore, but it was my only guitar for 20 years. The The STK-S4 is my idealized Strat sound, even when played dead clean, which is what I do most of the time.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You aren't very far away. I need to bring this Roadhouse Strat down someday for you to bang on.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
        I have. They are excellent, as is the Duncan Classic Stack Plus.

But anyone who says they sound and respond exactly like a vintage style Strat single coil is either a beginner or someone who hasn't spent enough time playing real Strat single coils.
        I have spent plenty of time playing traditional strats. I have had AVRIs but currently factor a G&L legacy and my silver sky. So I’m only using traditional single coils for strat sounds. Yet I’ll still insist they sound exactly like a good set of singles. Maybe Kinmans flavor or singles, but good singles coils nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Golem View Post
          I have spent plenty of time playing traditional strats. I have had AVRIs but currently factor a G&L legacy and my silver sky. So I’m only using traditional single coils for strat sounds. Yet I’ll still insist they sound exactly like a good set of singles. Maybe Kinmans flavor or singles, but good singles coils nonetheless.
          Like I said: the Kinmans are EXCELLENT, as is the Duncan Classic Stack Plus set.

And you go right on thinking they sound exactly the same as a great vintage Strat pickup. If you like them, and the tone you're getting inspires you, that's all that matters.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Would you describe the STK 4’s a late 50’s tone as well?

Comment

Originally posted by EC Strat View Post
              Would you describe the STK 4’s a late 50’s tone as well?
              Yeah, but there is slightly more power and body in the note, which is why I love it so much.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                The Stack Plus is my favorite Strat pickup, period. It has slightly more power and rounder high end than an SSL-1, but not as much as the APS. But it is a beautiful Strat tone. I see no reason to go back to traditional single coils.
                I totally agree with this. I have a mid-heavy superstrat. My DMZ areas were too dull sounding there, with their A2 magnets. replaced with STK-S4s, and I couldn't be happier.

Comment

Working...
                X