Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phat Cat Liberator

Hello,

I'm using a SD Phat Cat and want to get a SD Liberator pot. Since the Cat has a braided case instead of a dedicated ground wire can I still use the solderless pot?

Thanks!

Re: Phat Cat Liberator

Sure. You can, but remember that the Liberator is designed for easy pup swapping. Not to eliminate soldering. The Liberator itself needs to be installed the first time the same as if it was a set of pickups. Then you use a screwdriver to install the actual pups. If you plan on just installing a set of Phat Cats, and leaving them alone, then there isn't much advantage to the Liberator. Make sense?

Comment

Totally makes sense. I figured there was a little bit of soldering that would need to happen but wanted future pup opinions. I was just confused about where the pup ground would go. Thanks!

Comment

Bear with me, I'm not sure I can post a pic with the new forum software.

There's two different ways I'd approach this. First, carefully push back some of the braid, then solder a very short jumper wire to it that will fit into the Liberator terminal strip. Or, gently twist some of the braiding into a fine point. Tin it with solder, so that it's a fine point that will fit the terminal. That one's a bit hard to describe without a pic.

You want to put the center conductor where the red arrow is, and the "braided" part where the green arrow is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Liberator_Phatcat-01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	5820751

Then tie up the rest of the wires somewhat like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Liberator_Phatcat-02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	5820752

There aren't a lot of Liberator pics in the wiring diagrams, so hopefully that helps. In that 2nd diagram, where the humbucker wires are, you'll only be using the black and green. In other words, your PhatCat center conductor where the black wire goes, and your braided part where the green wire goes.
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-05-2020, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Yes, the Liberator really shines, once soldered in, with 4 conductor pickups. Well, at least it is easier. It is a very elegant solution to swap pickups quickly.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
          X