JJ EL844?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JJ EL844?

Hi all,,, although their output is probably less than their EL84 counterparts, but can they handle the voltage of an AC30, or a Boogie DC3? Thanks

Re: JJ EL844?

Heard about these aswell-

Very curious to learn more about them.

I own a EL84 powered amp (Blackstar HT-20mkII)... and well, lowering the volume/breakup point would be great for my situation-
    (playing in livingrooms, with other acoustic instruments).

Please reply guys, if you know anything about this tube!!

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Some people online said they were just defunct/ poor EL84's...

And I've heard all kinds of different stuff...

So... I'm curious to hear more - truth- about this!
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zozoe View Post
        can they handle the voltage of an AC30, or a Boogie DC3? Thanks
        Both tubes have a limiting value of 300 volts, if the AC30 or Boogie DC3 takes regular JJ EL84's, it will take the JJ EL844 just as good towards voltage.
        "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
          and well, lowering the volume/breakup point would be great for my situation-
          (playing in livingrooms, with other acoustic instruments).
          If you are after lower volume the JJ EL844 will deliver, they should break up about 25% earlier than the EL84 as well, so if that what you're after, the EL844 is the one to get.
          "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

^^ ok,

it can't hurt to try them, I guess- If they're made to direct fit an EL84 amp.

I play in livingrooms mostly, with an acoustic guitar at most...

And now, the ideal sound (with the amp on 2 watt switch on), is almost noon at master volume...

and thats LOUD! :o

So...I'm considering ordering a pair, when I get my paycheck.

Comment

^^ My issue is- I've read reviews, that people say the EL844's sound "poor" and just doesn't sound as good, as a regular EL84.

Though... they aren't that expensive, so I could afford to experiment.

Comment

No one else got input on these? :o

Just wondering if they were worth it, to order and test, or just let be...

Comment

If you're expecting to sound like the 84 but a bit lower volume I think that's probably where most reviews go wrong. It's a different profile. Early breakup, quieter and a slightly different tone. Supposedly it's closer to the full EL84 than if you activate a triode/pentode power saving method.

Comment

Working...
                  X