banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Piezo disc pickups (for acoustics) inside archtop electric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piezo disc pickups (for acoustics) inside archtop electric?

First of all,

Sorry for all the threads I'm making. My last thought before I fell asleep last night, was "I should collect all my questions and topics into one big thread instead".

but,

I see these "piezo disc" pickups, one or two, usually with a mini jack plug at the end.

Designed to be put on top of an acoustic guitar /mandolin /ukulele-

Some are more expensive than others.

But I wonder if I could get a good result, by mounting them inside my Wildkat , inside of the lid-
    with a volume pot or switch, and then solder to jack. (or use the included mini jack connection, for a outboard preamp setup).

Anyone tried this?

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Re: Piezo disc pickups (for acoustics) inside archtop electric?

I could put the discs on top of the lid aswell-

But the guitar would look like it was doing an EKG.
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Those discs are designed to be mounted inside the guitar. Not outside. I'm a K&K dealer and they sound great. I'm not sure I can visualize what you're saying because I'm not sure what a Wildkat is. Lid? Got a pic or link?

Comment

A wildkat... is something like a hollowbody Les paul, with a "wood block" between lid and back, where the bridge is.

With F-holes... I can't figure out how to post a picture.

Comment

I think it's an interesting idea, though you would need to put an additional hole in the guitar for the output, or have a cable hanging out one of the F holes. If I did it. I think it sounds like an interesting way to get a more acoustic type tone without buying an acoustic.

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          Those discs are designed to be mounted inside the guitar. Not outside. I'm a K&K dealer and they sound great. I'm not sure I can visualize what you're saying because I'm not sure what a Wildkat is. Lid? Got a pic or link?
          Standard Semi-Hollowbody construction, usually with P90s.

Comment

It has been done. But it requires considerable experimentation as to placement of the pickup(s) for best sound. That is difficult to do with a Wildkat, you'd have to remove the pickups and work through them and the F-holes.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I wouldn't mind a cable hanging out of the F-holes...

if i would get a cool sound, that is

Comment

I use one to amplify...get this...a 22 string nylon string Celtic harp. It works well. I don't know what kind of sound you could expect inside an F hole. Maybe it might be ok if it is going to an acoustic amp, but probably is no substitute for something like a piezo pickup system. You would also have to process it separately- I use compression and reverb.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would just get a piezo saddle bridge replacement and use a stereo jack to split the signal. An archtop with a center block isn't that 'acoustic'. If it were fully hollow I might consider a body mounted pickup or mic.

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                    A wildkat... is something like a hollowbody Les paul, with a "wood block" between lid and back, where the bridge is.

With F-holes... I can't figure out how to post a picture.
                    Sorry man. It took me a minute to figure out that maybe English isn't your 1st language. And the "lid" is the top half of an arch-top guitar.

Comment

^^ OK thanks

If I can find a really cheap "piezo disc" pickup, for let's say 5-10USD, and not a pro model, for 10x the price-

I'll try to mount it in every possible way, and post back on the results.

A piezo bridge replacement is just way too expensive, atleast the options I've found.

thanks

-Erl

Comment

I think I paid $20US for mine, and it sticks there with some kind of putty.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                          If I can find a really cheap "piezo disc" pickup, for let's say 5-10USD, and not a pro model, for 10x the price-
                          I've done business with these folks many times with no problems. http://www.suntekstore.com/goods-150..._mandolin.html

Select the "Electronics" catagory at the top, and then type "piezo" in the search box. Tons of cheap piezo choices.

Comment

Thank you very much ArtieToo!

Comment

I'll make a setup-

With one, or two piezo discs, inside the arched top.

A "mini jack" plug, on the top of the guitar, with a thin cable, going to a cheap mixer-

blended with the output jack/ magnetic pickups-

And try how it sounds!

cheers,
                              -Erlend

Comment

Working...
                              X