banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Blackstar sounds tons better now- than when brand new!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Blackstar sounds tons better now- than when brand new!!

Just wanted to tell everyone-

My Blackstar HT-20mkII combo sounds LOADS better now- after 2 months of daily playing,
    than when it was brand new.

When I got it, I almost sent it in return, because I was so dissapointed with the sound.

It was very dark, lacked treble and mids- with ALOT of rumbling bass...

Now it sounds much more balanced, it has opened up-

And I enjoy it alot!

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Re: My Blackstar sounds tons better now- than when brand new!!

(just in case anyone else got a brand new amp, that doesn't sound good-

give it some time-

Seems to be the same thing with shoes- you can't really judge them until you've used them for some time )
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

The first days it gave off a strong plastic/ "iphone" smell-

after a while, it started sounding better-

And now, I can run the tone controls at noon (instead of nearly full)- and it's GREAT!

Next thing I'll do for it, is a real spring reverb tank, mounted in the effects loop-
      and a volume pedal infront.

Also, put it on a stand (old wooden "TV" table) to get it off the floor.

Cool thing, that they make this budget, yet tube amp- for people like me that can't afford an ENGL, Fender or Mesa...!

Comment

Glad ya got the speaker starting to break in. Those are great lil amps.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

^^ Yeah, something has certainly happened :o

I was originally saving for a Fender Princeton. But my neighbor (meth-addicted woman) stole 800USD from me....

So I had to look for a "budget" amp. I love the Blackstar, just wish it had a proper spring reverb.

Comment

Interesting! I have a 68 Princeton reissue and looked long at the blackstar ht20 on my last round of amp acquisition. The thing that stopped me was actually that many people say the bass on the cleans is too much even at minimum bass settings
            The Princeton is cool if you really like clean or light overdrive but having it as my only amp for a while made me really really hunger for a drive channel than I can just plug into and get a lot of good sounding dirt at less than stage volume

Comment

Definitely the speaker getting broken in.

Comment

It's probably the speaker, but it's good either way.

I can't wait until my Celestion V-Type speakers are fully broken in.

Comment

Speaker break in is VERY important. It can take an amp from "should-be-good-but-is-only-mediocre" to great. Brand new speakers have a way of sounding both too tight and too blocked up in the lows. The mids come through better and the lows open up after a while. Don't judge your amp until is has been played on at least a few dozen hours, preferably longer.

Vintage 30s are classic offenders in this way. They sound like garbage until they have been beat on for quite a while. Then they start sounding like heaven.
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-05-2020, 09:10 PM.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    Definitely the speaker getting broken in.
                    That's where I'd put my money as well
                    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                      Interesting! I have a 68 Princeton reissue and looked long at the blackstar ht20 on my last round of amp acquisition. The thing that stopped me was actually that many people say the bass on the cleans is too much even at minimum bass settings
                      The Princeton is cool if you really like clean or light overdrive but having it as my only amp for a while made me really really hunger for a drive channel than I can just plug into and get a lot of good sounding dirt at less than stage volume
                      A Princeton is my dream amp . And as I said- I'd have gotten one, if the neighbor meth-***** didn't steal half of my savings.

Regarding the Blackstars clean tone, and clean channel tone control-
                      at the last 1/4 of travel, it starts removing the low end from the signal. Turned all the way up, there is very little lows in the signal, and it's quite bright.

(but it never gets bright, "ice picky" like a Fender can be...)

Comment

Working...
                      X