Dummy Coil Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dummy Coil Wiring

I would like to use a DPDT on/off/on switch to do phase reversal with a dummy coil. I would like the center off position to remove the dummy coil from the system. Will this diagram work?
    Attached Files

Re: Dummy Coil Wiring

With the middle pickup out of phase, wouldn’t you need the dummy phase to be automatic for the center position (maybe even automatic off for the 2-4 combined positions)?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      With the middle pickup out of phase, wouldn’t you need the dummy phase to be automatic for the center position (maybe even automatic off for the 2-4 combined positions)?
      What I was hoping to do with the on/off/on switch was to have phase reversal in the on positions so I could hum cancel for all three pickups and then have it off in the center for 2/4 positions. The neck and bridge are Duncan while the middle is Fender so they have the right phase relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
        I would like to use a DPDT on/off/on switch to do phase reversal with a dummy coil. I would like the center off position to remove the dummy coil from the system. Will this diagram work?
        No, it won't. Gimme a sec to figure it out completely. In the 1st "up" position, the dummy coil is disconnected on the hot side. No problem. On the middle position, both the dummy coil and the 5-way are disconnected. (Guitar dead.) I don't think that's what you want. In the 3rd "down" position, the dummy coil is in series with the output of the 5-way. I don't think that's what you want either. I think you want it in parallel.

Gimme . . . gimme a minute or two.

Comment

+1 Artie beat me to it.

Comment

I did this quik-'n-dirty. You always want the 5-way to go to the output. (Volume control.) So, you simply connect the dummy coil to the switch for On/Off/OOP:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 08.34.35 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	5820755

Comment

Thanks for the diagram. I also found this picture of an Emerson 5-way blender circuit. It looks like there are two versions of the circuit. Can you see any advantage between the two versions? Is the first version supposed to emulate 50's wiring?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by idsnowdog; 06-05-2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

The pic on the left looks like Vol/Tone/Tone. Classic Strat. The pic on the right looks like Vol/Tone/Blend.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                  Thanks for the diagram. I also found this picture of an Emerson 5-way blender circuit. It looks like there are two versions of the circuit. Can you see any advantage between the two versions? Is the first version supposed to emulate 50's wiring?
                  The first one looks like one tone for bridge/middle and the other tone for neck. The second looks like the same 50’s blend you have in your initial drawing.

Comment

I see what it is now. When you do a search for the blender mod it brings up the wrong image for the first one which is vol/tone/tone. The second image is for the vol/t one/blender.

Comment

The first one isnt straight vanilla fender though. The middle tone is bridged across to the bridge pickup, so it’s kind of mod.

Comment

I have a SSL-5 in the bridge 13k, a Fender 54 middle 6k and a SSL-2 neck 6K. The dummy coil is 7K. Is there anything I can do with a mini trim pot to match the neck and middle positions better?

Comment

I think you need a tapped dummy coil. It has to match the number of turns to cancel, no?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            I think you need a tapped dummy coil. It has to match the number of turns to cancel, no?
                            I have seen varying advice on the dummy coils resistance. Some say 50-80% so it removes the majority of hum but doesn't mess with the tone too badly. While an article I once read about Ritchie Blackmore's yellow strat by his guitar tech said that he prefers to have a dummy coil which is 2K more than the pickups. Having a mismatch in the coil's resistance isn't necessarily a problem when you consider hybrid humbucker with asymmetric coils. I have seen demos on youtube but none of those people will show you a diagram. Some have parallel coils while others I guess would be series. I guess I'm not sure with the phase reversal that I have what the phase relationship would be in both positions? I know it will be series in one direction but I'm not sure if the other direction is parallel or not? I was just thinking that if the effect was too much on the middle and neck a mini trimmer pot might allow me to tweak the amount of humbucking the coil does in certain switch positions.

Comment

Ernie Ball uses an active dummy coil in their Silent Circuit, and that coil looks like 10 dimes stacked on top of each other. I never took it apart, but it is dead silent, though.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X