No announcement yet.

3way bridge/middle/neck at 2 position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3way bridge/middle/neck at 2 position?

Hi, is there a way to use one CRL 3way switch to this:

1 bridge
    2 bridge/middle/neck
    3 neck

If so I would love a wiring diagram.

I only knows about menphys or nashville mods but they has de middle pickup out of switch.

Re: 3way bridge/middle/neck at 2 position?

A normal 3 way switch can't do that. If you take a close look at the switch itself, you can see why.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Mincer is correct. You can't do it with a standard 3-way. However, there are two alternatives:

Your standard 3-way will do:

1. Bridge/Middle
      2. Bridge/Middle/Neck
      3. Neck/Middle

That gives you the classic notch tones at #1 & #3, which isn't bad.

Or . . . with a little DIY skill, you can get exactly what you want if add a micro-switch to the 3-way. It's do-able. I've done it before in order to solve a problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	micro02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	5820754

Comment

Thanks your two both.

I think I will do with normal 1 bridge, 2 middle, 3 neck 3way.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          Mincer is correct. You can't do it with a standard 3-way. However, there are two alternatives:

Your standard 3-way will do:

1. Bridge/Middle
          2. Bridge/Middle/Neck
          3. Neck/Middle

That gives you the classic notch tones at #1 & #3, which isn't bad.

Or . . . with a little DIY skill, you can get exactly what you want if add a micro-switch to the 3-way. It's do-able. I've done it before in order to solve a problem.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105200[/ATTACH]
          Artie,

"Micro-switch" is something I've never heard of before. Fascinating. Tell me more about it. For example, how would it be implemented to the standard 3 way switch to do what the OP was asking about?

I just looked online for "guitar micro-switch" and the results only contained mini toggle switches. This micro-switch is something different though, right?
          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 06-06-2020, 05:13 AM.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

What am I missing? If middle is on all the time, couldn't you just use the 3-way without an additional micro switch to get bridge+middle, bridge+middle+neck, neck+middle?
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yes, it's going to take a mini-switch to add the middle pickup to whatever the three way switch is set to.

If you don't want to drill a hole in your pickguard for a mini-switch, then replace one of your pots with a push/pull pot.

One of my Strats is set up like that but let me say this: all three pickups on at the same time is NOT a great sound. You might be fantasizing that it is...but it ISN'T.
              Last edited by Lewguitar; 06-06-2020, 06:50 AM.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                What am I missing? If middle is on all the time, couldn't you just use the 3-way without an additional micro switch to get bridge+middle, bridge+middle+neck, neck+middle?
                That's the thing. He doesn't want the middle on all the time. Just in the middle position.

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                Artie,

"Micro-switch" is something I've never heard of before. Fascinating. Tell me more about it.
                "Microswitch" is actually a brand name, but it has become the generic term to refer to any very small switch of this general style. There's also Cherry-switch, Alco, and many others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	microswitch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	5820760

There are all kinds of actuators and styles. Those would fit on a penny. So, for guitar use, I usually have to fabricate a simple mount of some sort, (usually just a piece of hobby brass), and then position it so that the actuator gets "hit" by some portion of the regular switch when its in the right position. It's not as complicated as it sounds. It's just for those weird situations when you need one more contact.

Comment

I had the same problem and decided to a add a blender pot by converting the second tone pot.

You get with blender off:
                  Bridge
                  Bridge/Neck
                  Neck

Blender on:
                  Bridge/Middle
                  Bridge/Middle/Neck
                  Middle/Neck

You just loose Middle alone, but you get B/M/N and best of all - B/N, which i really love.
                  I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    That's the thing. He doesn't want the middle on all the time. Just in the middle position.

"Microswitch" is actually a brand name, but it has become the generic term to refer to any very small switch of this general style. There's also Cherry-switch, Alco, and many others.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105209[/ATTACH]

There are all kinds of actuators and styles. Those would fit on a penny. So, for guitar use, I usually have to fabricate a simple mount of some sort, (usually just a piece of hobby brass), and then position it so that the actuator gets "hit" by some portion of the regular switch when its in the right position. It's not as complicated as it sounds. It's just for those weird situations when you need one more contact.
                    Thanks Artie
                    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
                    X