banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Closest thing to Guthrie Govan Charvel bridge pickup??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closest thing to Guthrie Govan Charvel bridge pickup??

the Full Shred seems the closest that i've found so far, from watching youtube clips for weeks (lol).

anyone got some info to share on how similar they are?

people often recommend me the suhr SSH+ but to me that sounds more like a JB, not really my thing.

edit: seems like the Pegasus might even be closer, is it true the Hyperions were based on the Pegasus? sucks that there are basically 0 reviews of the Pegasus that aren't just downtuned metal riffs.. i would like to hear the pickup in a different context
    Last edited by Reee; 06-05-2020, 01:05 PM.

Re: Closest thing to Guthrie Govan Charvel bridge pickup??

I have no idea what is similar to the Charvel "MF" pickup.

When I contacted Charvel about the bridge model a year or so ago, they were super hush hush and told me I could probably determine the specs myself if I were to buy one of their custom shop guitars, LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

When I contacted Charvel about the bridge model a year or so ago, they were super hush hush and told me I could probably determine the specs myself if I were to buy one of their custom shop guitars, LOL!
      what a bummer, hope maybe some GG charvel owners can chime in

Comment

So what were the specs? Please don't tell me you did not spend that 3-5k to satisfy your curiousity regarding a 70-80 dollar pickup...

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
          So what were the specs? Please don't tell me you did not spend that 3-5k to satisfy your curiousity regarding a 70-80 dollar pickup...
          I read the bridge is around 13k from someone who owns the guitar, i also emailed charvel and got a mail back today, they said it's around 7.5k, but that sounds like bull**** to me considering how hot the guthrie bridge pickup really is, might be a marketing ploy to appeal to "vintage correct" people

Comment

The Pegasus is actually great at a lot of things, but the marketing and demos are all the metal riffs. It is probably more related to a pickup like the Custom 5 than the JB.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              The Pegasus is actually great at a lot of things, but the marketing and demos are all the metal riffs. It is probably more related to a pickup like the Custom 5 than the JB.
              it's a shame there are no proper demo's for this pickup, and you can't really find anyone playing one on youtube because it doesn't come stock in many guitars, unlike a lot of SD pickups.

that said, i'm looking for a medium output bridge humbucker (think between a PAF and a JB) with a lot of dynamics

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post
                it's a shame there are no proper demo's for this pickup, and you can't really find anyone playing one on youtube because it doesn't come stock in many guitars, unlike a lot of SD pickups.

that said, i'm looking for a medium output bridge humbucker (think between a PAF and a JB) with a lot of dynamics
                The 59/Custom Hybrid sits right in that sweet spot, and it even sounds great split, too.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  The 59/Custom Hybrid sits right in that sweet spot, and it even sounds great split, too.
                  can't find any clips of that one that please my ears, the full shred sounds better from the clips i have heard, but hard to tell until i can play it myself, finding a fitting pickup is such a hard task

Comment

Pickups are a very personal thing, but, as you said, it's incredibly hard to know what a pickup sounds like in your hands and through your rig until you try it

The 59/Custom is super popular for a reason. It has good punch and definition without being overly hot. I actually think it's a good match to the Charvel MF bridge in many ways. Not spec-wise, but performance-wise.

I like the Full Shred, too, but there's something about its sound that always feels a bit truncated.

Comment

Pickups are a very personal thing, but, as you said, it's incredibly hard to know what a pickup sounds like in your hands and through your rig until you try it

The 59/Custom is super popular for a reason. It has good punch and definition without being overly hot. I actually think it's a good match to the Charvel MF bridge in many ways. Not spec-wise, but performance-wise.

I like the Full Shred, too, but there's something about its sound that always feels a bit truncated.
                      is the hybrid that popular? haven't seen it in any production guitars and can't think of any artists using one

Comment

I know of 2 japanese guitarrists who use it in their recent guitars, e-Zuka is one, forgot the other, both ESP Japan artists.
                        That's it : D
                        "Eventually there will be a beautiful statue there, I just have to chip away" -Satriani

Comment

Working...
                        X