A 1970 hybrid amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 1970 hybrid amp

Apparently this Hofner KV 40 I have is a hybrid. I know nothing about tube amps or preamps. This should be interesting.

Re: A 1970 hybrid amp

Does it have a nice 70s overdrive? I’ve never played a Hofner but I love the overdrive of older SS amps (Ross, Rickenbacker, etc) so with a tube pre I’d prob dig it
    Last edited by DankStar; 06-05-2020, 10:03 PM.

Comment

A hybrid amp has a pre amp and a tube amp? I guess I don’t know anything about hybrids. I’ve even avoided buying a Prius because I don’t want to drive anything that runs on both steam and diesel.

Comment

It can actually be two different styles. Some have a tube preamp and solid state power section. Others have a solid state preamp and a tube power section.

I'll have to look this one up.

Edit:

Is this amp the KV40, 2x12 vertical combo by chance?
        Last edited by Bronze Buzzard; 06-05-2020, 10:54 PM.
        I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Comment

Originally posted by Bronze Buzzard View Post
          It can actually be two different styles. Some have a tube preamp and solid state power section. Others have a solid state preamp and a tube power section.

I'll have to look this one up.

Edit:

Is this amp the KV40, 2x12 vertical combo by chance?
          It's hard to find info, I'm pulling my hair out.
          As far as I can tell, I haven't opened it yet. From web research I think it's either a Hofner made by Schaller or a Schaller. Shaller had forward facing controls and I think they stopped production of the KV line in 69 or 70. All the Hofners after 1970 have top mounted controls, so.. it may even be a 69 Schaller. It's been recovered so no badges on it and I can't find any other identifiers without opening it but I'm too busy right now.
          I'm pretty sure it's a tube preamp from what little info I could find.

Please let me know if you find anything.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
            Does it have a nice 70s overdrive? I’ve never played a Hofner but I love the overdrive of older SS amps (Ross, Rickenbacker, etc) so with a tube pre I’d prob dig it
            I haven't even really looked, it might. I haven't really had any time to check it out. It was in the pawn shop for $300. Ii plugged it in to make sure it powered up, it did so I offered him $200 and he hemmed and hawed until I was walking out the door and then said OK I'll take $200.

Comment

It looks like this.
              Early 70's Hofner KV40 Combo, manufactured by Schaller in Germany.In excellent condition for its age. No damage, a few minor scuffs here and there. Includes footswitch which I believe is original, has a crack in plastic case but works fine.All electrolytic caps were recently replaced.Works well, ...

From what I can find out 69 & 70 were the only years with the staggered speakers. I'm not sure if shaller stopped making them in 69 or 70, so... When did Schaller dump all the production on Hofner?.. was it 69 or 70?

Comment

When the tool bar gets straightened out I'll post pics.

Comment

what makes you think its a hybrid? doesnt look like it from the schematic

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    You found a schematic?

Comment

When Schaller was selling them they were all tube, around 1969 is when they decided to stop I guess. The 69 Schaller and 70 Hofner look alike with forward facing controls. After 1970 Hofner sold itwith a different configuration and the controls in top as well as the speakers level and not staggered.
                      Last edited by solspirit; 06-06-2020, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                        You found a schematic?
                        In that reverb link you posted. Shows lots of transistors (not that that’s a bad thing).

Comment

I might rip it open next weekend if I have time. I'm real curious. I'm searching for anything I can find on the web too but there isn't much.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            Some of the things I've read and the fact that it turns on quietly but pops loudly when turned off and takes 30 seconds to power down.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                              Some of the things I've read and the fact that it turns on quietly but pops loudly when turned off and takes 30 seconds to power down.
                              Sounds like a tube rectified circuit with no standby. Old VOX’ do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X