banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumb question: is there a pedal that kills sustain, sort of an anti-compressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dumb question: is there a pedal that kills sustain, sort of an anti-compressor?

Comment

Re: Dumb question: is there a pedal that kills sustain, sort of an anti-compressor?

Originally posted by Securb View Post
      I had one of those back in the 90s
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Dear Itsabass,

First of all, when I wrote "a graphic eq can probably do that" I was replying to Dr Barlo with the Detox thing, which he was suggesting as an under drive with eq to reduce gain.
        Second of all, I have been playing the living $#!+ out of electric guitars since 1983. I have fantastic right hand technique and can palm-mute all day long and strum like a mofo in complex rhythms that will set your head on fire.

I was not very clear in my first post: I am looking for something that would kill sustain while strumming full chords so that each strum would stand out more rather than getting lost in a wash of sound. Something OTHER THAN using the edge of my hand constantly or turning the gain way down.

It was really just a random thought, but I had heard of an expander pedal and could not remember what it was called or how they work. I just like trying out something new and different from time to time, that's all. If the new thing doesn't work for me then I have learned and I move on but the experimentation is good for me.

Finally, I said it was a dumb question right there in the title! No need to point out the dumbness of my dumb question.
        Last edited by Dave Locher; 06-09-2020, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Behringer makes the CL9 compressor limiter
          And the CS400 compressor sustainer

There was an expander or something a few years ago
          But I cant remember what it did
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
            Dear Itsabass,

First of all, when I wrote "a graphic eq can probably do that" I was replying to Dr Barlo with the Detox thing, which he was suggesting as an under drive with eq to reduce gain.
            Second of all, I have been playing the living $#!+ out of electric guitars since 1983. I have fantastic right hand technique and can palm-mute all day long and strum like a mofo in complex rhythms that will set your head on fire.

I was not very clear in my first post: I am looking for something that would kill sustain while strumming full chords so that each strum would stand out more rather than getting lost in a wash of sound. Something OTHER THAN using the edge of my hand constantly or turning the gain way down.

It was really just a random thought, but I had heard of an expander pedal and could not remember what it was called or how they work. I just like trying out something new and different from time to time, that's all. If the new thing doesn't work for me then I have learned and I move on but the experimentation is good for me.

Finally, I said it was a dumb question right there in the title! No need to point out the dumbness of my dumb question.
            Yep... the graphic eq when set right, I guess will do the most of the unboost trick I suppose. But then again Voodoo Giggity (the way I set it) does the unboost thing but also a bit more you know. It is not gain or drive... but some slight presence kinda crunch you know...

That's why I love it.

It is not what you are looking for tho. And I dunno if HBE detox does that as well.

B
            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I am thinking it might be something you could do with a delay by setting the delay time to 0, Mix 100% to the wet signal then playing with the decay settings. Not quite sure I am just throwing it out there and trying to get my head around this.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                Dear Itsabass,

Oh! Well, you didn't say it was YOU – the guy who is friggin' awesome and radical at guitar by his own proclamation!

In the OP, did you or did you not specifically welcome being mocked?

You did; clearly as day. You asked for something. You got it. Now you feel the need to defend yourself against it? Pffft.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Wouldn't a simple compressor, that included ADSR, (Attack/Decay/Sustain/Release) do this? You don't see that often in a pedal, and I wouldn't have known about this if someone else hadn't brought it up in another thread, but the EarthQuaker Devices Warden might do it.

Optical compression pedal built with high-grade components and loads of gain and sustain on tap

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    In the OP, did you or did you not specifically welcome being mocked?

You did; clearly as day. You asked for something. You got it. Now you feel the need to defend yourself against it? Pffft.
                    Indeed I did!
                    My mistake - carry on!!

Comment

Working...
                    X