No announcement yet.

Would you spend $40 on an output jack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you spend $40 on an output jack?

I’d understand changing to a locking jack, etc. if one were heavily touring, etc...

If the argument is for tone, shouldn’t you replace all the jacks in your entire signal chain?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I swear on Timber Tones wooden picks- after I discovered them; i would never use a plastic one again!!

Depends if the jack is of superior quality, and will outlast a number of cheaper ones...

But well, I'm no idiot, and steer far away from "high end" stuff .
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Haha, that Qi Jack commercial GIF, reminds me of (apardon me) ... the "fleshlight" XD

... sorry, don't ban me for saying this.
        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I've requested their resistance testing data -as they give ZERO diligence or support to their claims on the website.

I'd say there are probably benefits to the rigidity and the system for reliability if you are doing rock move every night on a big tour, but tone and resistance claims are another thing that I have to see some science on.Remember -we are talking audio spectrum only -and guitar spectrum is much smaller -anytime someone makes a claim for better tone for audio bandwidths, I gotta see the science.

BUT -if you're making better system as this company wants -why not ditch all of this and do a new jack and plug system altogether? Thats what I used to do.

Also, I use to put $100-200 Jack Lemo multipin MIL SPec locking connections in my guitars 20 years ago. -you can get way crazier than this.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
            Haha, that Qi Jack commercial GIF, reminds me of (apardon me) ... the "fleshlight" XD

... sorry, don't ban me for saying this.
            Shouldn't have apologized. That way people would've thought you just made a typo...

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              I've requested their resistance testing data -as they give ZERO diligence or support to their claims on the website.

I'd say there are probably benefits to the rigidity and the system for reliability if you are doing rock move every night on a big tour, but tone and resistance claims are another thing that I have to see some science on.Remember -we are talking audio spectrum only -and guitar spectrum is much smaller -anytime someone makes a claim for better tone for audio bandwidths, I gotta see the science.

BUT -if you're making better system as this company wants -why not ditch all of this and do a new jack and plug system altogether? Thats what I used to do.

Also, I use to put $100-200 Jack Lemo multipin MIL SPec locking connections in my guitars 20 years ago. -you can get way crazier than this.
              That's it? You need science? I was expecting more from you regarding a high priced audio accesory and 6k cable... (I AM KIDDING! )

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                That's it? You need science? I was expecting more from you regarding a high priced audio accesory and 6k cable... (I AM KIDDING! )
                Ha. well, I don't think they will reply with anything useful -and at guitar frequencies, there's just not a lot of need for improvement -Real improvement would be the connection being locking and solid -which they sort of address partially -but you are still beholdened to 50% of the equation remaining the same.

If your gonna go big -go all the way!
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                  Ha. well, I don't think they will reply with anything useful -and at guitar frequencies, there's just not a lot of need for improvement -Real improvement would be the connection being locking and solid -which they sort of address partially -but you are still beholdened to 50% of the equation remaining the same.

If your gonna go big -go all the way!
                  The funny thing is that guitar “tone” is built on inadequacies all along the signal chain. A guitar pickup is hardly the most efficient or flat way to collect the musical “information” coming from an electric guitar. Obviously we want amps that distort, even when “clean”, and a guitar speaker is awful and reproducing what it is fed. Even at the input cable level, Texas Blues Alley did a demo of the redeemer buffer that gets installed in the guitar and it’s just way too bright for me. We are accustomed to cable length rolling off treble and shifting the resonant peak of the pickups lower.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    I can't imagine they'd improve the sound over a good ole Switchcraft.
                    That's what I am thinking as well. Switchcrafts have served me well, so I am not thinking about changing over to this new and expensive jack.
                    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

“What an ingenious idea! Between the QiJack and the Analysis Plus cables, I now have the true tone of the pick-ups and strings on my guitar.” – Russ Hewitt

This is the best consumer review they could get, and if you look him up, he's not an acclaimed musician, he's an "acclaimed musical artist".
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by The JEM Ghost View Post
                        That's what I am thinking as well. Switchcrafts have served me well, so I am not thinking about changing over to this new and expensive jack.
                        Not only that, but when I rewire one of my guitars, I usually use a stereo jack. I wire ring & sleeve together so that I have an actual contact for ground instead of simply side pressure against the sleeve. I also like the fact that I can pull the plug out one "click" to temporarily mute the guitar. But as I also mentioned, I'm really liking those Pure Tones. Even their mono version provides for that click-mute function.

Comment

I am all for people coming up with new ways to do things. There are all kinds of fulrum bridges after the original Strat bridge, and if that hadn't been looked at, we never wound have come up with better designs. It is pretty expensive for a jack, and I'd like to hear more about the advantages that makes it cost 10x more than a Switchcraft jack. It looks pretty industrial, and well-designed.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Switchcraft and CRL have proven their reliability over the last 75 years. I have 40s Gibsons with original switches, pots, and jack. No problem.

Comment

I might try one. I'll get a stereo one, and put it in a guitar just to see what it's all about, and then move it over to a high-end headphone amp I'm building.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                                I might try one. I'll get a stereo one, and put it in a guitar just to see what it's all about, and then move it over to a high-end headphone amp I'm building.
                                Love to hear the report on that!
                                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                                X