No announcement yet.

Would you spend $40 on an output jack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you spend $40 on an output jack?

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
    Careful what you call an input jack
    Some people take exception to that
    Maybe that’s what’s wrong with my tone.
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      I’ll defend the $35 picks all day. On an acoustic instrument, you have the wood, strings, and the pick (and of course your hands). I’m cool with Tortex on electric stuff, but the strings are heavier and tighter on my acoustic guitar and mandolin, and normal picks tend to rotate. The BlueChips don’t. They also come with the edge beveled, and don’t wear out. And really... it’s $35, and if you don’t like them, people will buy good condition used ones on Mandolin Cafe for $30. Also, once you spend that much on a pick, you tend to stop losing them. If I was a touring musician, I’d use the Dunlop Primetones, which are 90% as good for $3 each.

My basses have quality jacks in them that weren’t prohibitively expensive. I don’t see any reason to spend more than Switchcraft on those.
      I purposely rotate my pick. That’s a very common picking technique. It’s not parallel with the strings. It’s maybe a 15° rotation. Helps the pick tip slide off the strings.

I’ve been using these on guitar and bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't understand why we are using 1/4" jacks on guitars/pedals/amps. The XLR format is so much better, the industrie should have switched to them 50 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
          I don't understand why we are using 1/4" jacks on guitars/pedals/amps. The XLR format is so much better, the industrie should have switched to them 50 years ago.
          Was there a big switch gonna happen 50 years ago? Certainly, we should have been using balanced cables all this time. My thought is that 1/4" jacks and plugs got to be the standard as they were already the standard in telephone use.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Cant change the jack
            That's silly
            What's next?
            Tube amps

Silly Rabbit
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
              I can think of a couple reasons: XLR's are much larger. The signal that comes out of a guitar is microscopic compared to most consumer electronics. Also, 1/4" jacks and plugs are the same on both ends. XLR's require a male and female, which just complicates your parts inventory.

Comment

Working...
              X