No announcement yet.

Would you spend $40 on an output jack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you spend $40 on an output jack?

These look interesting, but $40! Wow. I'd like to try one, but that's a little rich for my blood. I can't imagine they'd improve the sound over a good ole Switchcraft.

Re: Would you spend $40 on an output jack?

I use $35 picks on my acoustic instruments, but they don’t wear out or move around in my hand, and I love the tone from them. Paying more than most people deem reasonable for something isn’t out of the question for me, but only when it delivers some outstanding results like the BlueChip picks I described above.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

A $35 pick? I'll have to look that up.

Edit: Wow! They have a couple that are $75!
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-06-2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

As long as we're on this theme, how about $6600 for a guitar cable. (Yup, $6600. No typo.)

Our Gold Oval Instrument Cable, uses our Hollow Oval design with pure gold over Oxygen Free Copper to create a LITZ wire absolutely without equal.

Comment

Could you perceive a difference? Or improvement?

Comment

I’ll defend the $35 picks all day. On an acoustic instrument, you have the wood, strings, and the pick (and of course your hands). I’m cool with Tortex on electric stuff, but the strings are heavier and tighter on my acoustic guitar and mandolin, and normal picks tend to rotate. The BlueChips don’t. They also come with the edge beveled, and don’t wear out. And really... it’s $35, and if you don’t like them, people will buy good condition used ones on Mandolin Cafe for $30. Also, once you spend that much on a pick, you tend to stop losing them. If I was a touring musician, I’d use the Dunlop Primetones, which are 90% as good for $3 each.

My basses have quality jacks in them that weren’t prohibitively expensive. I don’t see any reason to spend more than Switchcraft on those.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              As long as we're on this theme, how about $6600 for a guitar cable. (Yup, $6600. No typo.)

https://analysis.plus/product/gold-oval/
              I guess they intend people to wear them after gigs...

B
              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I use the pure tone jacks with the double thingy
                They work just fine
                I can get two for 8 bucks on Amazon

Most I want to spend
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I've never had even the cheapest jack fail due to build quality. Loose connections, yes. But that can happen on any solder-lug jack over time. As for a sound difference? Take off! I'm not as stupid as I look!
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

IMO a well-engineered solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Switchcraft have always worked just fine for me.

Perhaps more complex than necessary - will they hold up for long years of use?
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                      I use the pure tone jacks with the double thingy
                      They work just fine
                      I can get two for 8 bucks on Amazon

Most I want to spend
                      Yup. I use those too. Just ordered some mono and stereo ones.

Comment

Those jacks seem to be going on the principle of "more contact means better sound!" but the pickup signal still goes through tiny gauge wires to get to the @@#$ jack!

Until they can show a voltage drop caused by Switchcraft jacks I would even consider it.
                        Now, if the selling point is security or durability then maybe they aren't robbing people, but it sure looks like a complicated solution to a simple problem to me.

Comment

I would not. Switchcraft is fine with me. If I felt like a needed multiple points of contact, there are options for $5.

Besides, the input jack is never the weakest link in my tone. That distinction goes to my fingers.
                          Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                            Those jacks seem to be going on the principle of "more contact means better sound!" but the pickup signal still goes through tiny gauge wires to get to the @@#$ jack!

Until they can show a voltage drop caused by Switchcraft jacks I would even consider it.
                            Now, if the selling point is security or durability then maybe they aren't robbing people, but it sure looks like a complicated solution to a simple problem to me.
                            If you are talking about the pure tone
                            I must take exception

The pure tone corrects a problem I have had with loose connections
                            Because the single thingy bent
                            Usually because someone set the guitar on the couch or floor instead of a proper hanger

The pure tone is less likely to lose contact this way

I may be wrong but that's the way I justify it

You may be right

I have some guitars with the barrel jacks that I hate
                            Mainly because I cant see what's going on inside
                            Probably the same as the one in the OP
                            EHD

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
                              I would not. Switchcraft is fine with me. If I felt like a needed multiple points of contact, there are options for $5.

Besides, the input jack is never the weakest link in my tone. That distinction goes to my fingers.
                              Careful what you call an input jack
                              Some people take exception to that
                              EHD

Comment

Working...
                              X