Speaker size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker size

I've got a Evh 6L6 head as well as other amps. People are bragging up their 100 watt heads as having a bigger low end thump. I love my 2x12 Celestion anniversary 30s. I was thinking of adding a Celestion "15" fullback to give my tone some pronounced low end thump of it's own. I was thinking running the celestion "15" in it's own cab the same size as my 2x12 cab and stacking the cabs on top of each other.
    What would you guys recommend.....
    Running both cabs separated into left and right outputs of the amp?
    Ot running them together out one of the channels?

I know... .weird question. I dont want the 100 watt head.

Re: Speaker size

You know my plan for later this month is to get a 15 inch cab fo my G5

Just because I can
    I plan to get an adapter ring just in case I dont like the 15

But ya know

I was looking at 16 ohm speakers
    The Linebacker
    Jensen makes a MOD 15
    I found several in the 16 ohm range

Not real sure what your requirements are but I can provide links if you're interested
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Just some color for you to consider.

You can get more low end from 4x10s than 1x15 -you just have to select the right speakers.

Greater speaker size doesn't necessarily equal directly to more low end but the total of your speaker count's surface area does -and 4 x10 has more surface area to produce low end than a 15" if it's set up for low end. Even a 2x12 speaker cab has more surface area -but the difference is most speaker manufacturers do not load 12' with a driver/magnet size for low end like they do for 10"s and 15"s

The real advantage of a 15" speaker is the slower movement and slower response of the suspension gives a smoother transition between note movements on a fretboard -which is why they are excellent for bass -as 10"s are punchy and fast moving have a slightly musical gap between the notes that is very noticeable in many playing styles.

So -if you are playing fast notey music, my guess is you will hate a 15" for guitar, but damn slowed down a bit -a 15 can really bring the smooth

-and if you are just looking for a lot of low end -and want to play fast or punchy -avoid the 15" -and go with a 4x10'.
      Last edited by NegativeEase; 06-07-2020, 06:06 AM.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Also, if you want massive low end -like a freight train, you could use 5" speakers.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

^^ That's a fun cab! :o

Who makes them? What is it called?!!
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
            ^^ That's a fun cab! :o

Who makes them? What is it called?!!
            Phil Jones -if you ever get to try one -it's an experience -so much massive low end but also because of the accuracy of a 5" driver, it's punchy and responsive.

However, it's style dependent -because these kind of cabs tracks so accurately that the time between moving between frets and the fret buzzing etc can be pronounced and really reveal the worst parts of your playing -although it could also make you a better I guess.

Comment

had a Fender Pro Jr. with a 10"... sounded differnet, not bad...

Never tried a 15" for gutiar.

For bass, a 18" is my favourite... I like a deep, dub bass sound.

And I've also designed, but not yet produced- my own signature speaker cabinets A 4x8" "jazz" cab, made for maximal acoustic sound from the cabinet itself...

and others.
              If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

If I remember correctly, Dimebag mixed up 12 inch speakers with 15 inch speakers, so it's certainly doable.
                "You can buy muscles (steroďds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Originally posted by philthis View Post
                  I've got a Evh 6L6 head as well as other amps. People are bragging up their 100 watt heads as having a bigger low end thump. I love my 2x12 Celestion anniversary 30s. I was thinking of adding a Celestion "15" fullback to give my tone some pronounced low end thump of it's own. I was thinking running the celestion "15" in it's own cab the same size as my 2x12 cab and stacking the cabs on top of each other.

I would run each speaker cab in it's own output.

That said, adding a 15" cab is probably just going to add mud that has to be eq'd out by a sound man or recording engineer. Unless you're going for big cleans or SRV type tones, If it's just for fun playing by yourself, have at it.

Comment

100 watt heads have a tighter low end because of increased headroom. If you push your power amp into distortion you get a looser low end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                      100 watt heads have a tighter low end because of increased headroom. If you push your power amp into distortion you get a looser low end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Yeah, to that point -If I needed big big modern low end from a guitar encroaching on bass territory (like modern metal etc), I would probably prefer a solid state amp to push the low end and use a tube for the mids.

Comment

You could always find a bass player. Too much low end in the guitars in a band situation usually just turns into mush.

Comment

Originally posted by philthis View Post

I play mine by itself and used it side by side with my 4x12 when I played in a post-hardcore band. Lots of thump. Here is a review I wrote up on the Celestion "15" fullback.

http://tmrzoo.com/2016/69493/gear-re...guitar-speaker
                          Last edited by Securb; 06-08-2020, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Years ago, when I first got a 7 string, I was playing it through a Carvin XV212 with a 15" Gause Cetec in a ported cab plugged into the second speaker out.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X