banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackstar HT-20mkII 's gain knob "range" - any remedies?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackstar HT-20mkII 's gain knob "range" - any remedies?!

Well...

On my Blackstar HT-20mkII's OD channel;

I feel that the range of the gain knob is a "little off"-

When at 75%, I don't seem to get any more gain when turning it up, it's at "full gain", alot of gain,
    but at lower gain settings, (which sound wonderful), it's so sensitive, that just breathing on it, will be the difference between too-little, and too-much;

(in the 12-15% area)

I guess I'll just have to live with this, and be careful when adjusting the knob. Using a volume pedal infront, might help;
    and I also ordered a 5751 tube, that I guess could bring me more useable "low-mid gain" settings.

I'm worried that the 5751; while giving me less gain and overdrive; would make the clean channel sound "dull", and not give me the high-end harmonics and slight overdrive that I love.

So I just gotta ask-

is there a quick fix, that an amp tech can do; that "corrects" the amount of gain, or the range, the pot gives? :o

Thanks
    -Erlend
    Last edited by Erlend_G; 06-07-2020, 04:21 AM. Reason: :)
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Re: Blackstar HT-20mkII 's gain knob "range" - any remedies?!

The 5751 is a great V1 valve if you are going to be using drive pedals in front of the amp or are going for power stage distortion. I think you will find it to be too weak. You might want to try an ECC832, it’s a hybrid triode that gives you more gain in the front half than a 5751 but not as much as a full on ECC83.

I used an ECC832 in V1 of my EAST Studio 2 for my last album. It gives a really tight sounding drive sound, but you will need pedals to get into metal territory. Check out the last section on this song, starting at 5:30 if you don’t want all the prog faff.

Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 06-07-2020, 06:21 AM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

OK...as i said, 3/4's on, it's "FULL" gain, and doesn't do more-

and it's too tight/too sensitive on low gain setttings.

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Please send me answers as PM's-

I'll be offline from now on, and 2 months forwards in time!!

so please.

Comment

Working...
        X