banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ant II Surfers or SSL-1 in the neck as pairing for a SSL-1 middle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ant II Surfers or SSL-1 in the neck as pairing for a SSL-1 middle?

Hello everyone,

Long-time lurker and this is my first post here. I am interested in getting either an Ant II or SSL-1 in the neck for a pairing with a SSL-1 RW/RP as the middle pickup. This would be for a maple neck MIA Standard Stratocaster running through a Vox AC15. I am looking for those great, clean, bluesy vintage Strat tones, like Hendrix, Clapton, Frusciante. I would also like a bit of roundness to the tone and the notes to ring out expressively. Which one would you recommend?

Has anyone tried the Ant II paired with the SSL-1 middle? Do you still get a great quack in position 4?

Re: Ant II Surfers or SSL-1 in the neck as pairing for a SSL-1 middle?

Welcome to the forum!

Actually, either will get you those tones. Remember, the Surfers are aged, which might not be a look you want. The SSL-1 is like a great late 50s Strat, while the Surfers are more early 60s. To my ears, the SSL-1 is brighter. Also, an SSL-1, being the same wind as your middle pickup, will cancel more hum.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thank you for your reply!

I wouldn't mind a bit of variation, so to have the neck be warmer. As for the aged look, can the original Fender covers fit on the Surfers?

Comment

The Fender covers will fit on the Surfers, but the poles will still look aged. I don't know if that sort of thing bothers you or not.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Absolutely not, in fact my covers have an aged, parchment color to them. I am leaning toward the Surfers, but I will like to hear more from others on their experiences with this configuration before I decide.

Comment

i really like both sets, the ssl1 are brighter by a bit but they are similar in many ways. i prefer the antiquitys most of the time. do you already have the ssl1 rw/rp?

Comment

Hi Jeremy, yes I already have the SSL1 RW/RP. I am attracted by the Surfers combination with it and would like to know more. I would like a neck pickup to get a great definition of individual notes. What do you think of the Surfer middle RW/RP? Do you think it's worth sticking with the SSL1 in the middle and getting a Surfer in the neck or should I match the neck?

Comment

the middle surfer sounds great but if you already have the ssl1, might as well use that. both pups have good note definition, the surfer is a little smoother/darker sounding than the ssl1. mixing them is fine

Comment

Thank you, Jeremy. I will do that.

Comment

Thank you, Jeremy. I will do that.

Comment

Working...
                    X