banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimarzio FS-1 upside down (Hendrix Style)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio FS-1 upside down (Hendrix Style)

Hi!

I am having fun switching around pickups on the same guitar. I have a SSL-5, a FS-1 and a True Velvet. Just to hear what they do at different places.

At the neck position, the FS-1 shows more bass and more treble and less mids than the SSL5, which seems to be all mids. But I would not say that the FS-1 is mid scooped, there is still a lot of mids, compared to a more traditional strat pickup, like the true velvet for example, which at the neck position sounds quite a bit mid scooped. All three sound good at the neck position, but I prefer the kind of snarl you get from the FS-1 when you dig hard on the strings. So, at the neck, my preference is FS-1 for lead, True Velvet for rhythm (and you can always kick in the tubescreamer for lead stuff with the True Velvet).

At the middle position, I have yet to try the SSL-5 and they FS-1.

At the bridge, well, here is where I have questions for you folks. The way the wood is cut on my guitar makes it impossible for the wires to exit the pickup towards the bridge, since the pickup must be installed flush to the wood. No problem with the SSL-5, whose wires come out from under the pickup and whose base plate is symmetrical and flush with the plastic cover. But, with the FS-1, the baseplate is not symmetrical and the wires should normally come out on the bridge side when the pickup is in the right orientation. Because of the way the wood is cut, like I said above, I have no choice but to install the FS-1 on the wrong side, or Hendrix style like I prefer to say . Anyone knows, ideally from experience, how this affects the sound of the FS-1?

Otherwise, the FS-1 installed Hendrix style is clearly less hot than the SSL-5. The SSL-5 calls for total fuzz mayhem! . Which is how David Gilmour uses it most of the time anyway. The FS-1 retains a more straty feeling than the SSL-5 overall. Up to now I have the feeling that the FS-1 is more versatile than the SSL-5.

Thanks!

Re: Dimarzio FS-1 upside down (Hendrix Style)

You mean you're rotating it 180 degree? I can't imagine it will make any difference in tone.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
      You mean you're rotating it 180 degree?
      Exactly! Looking at the height of the pole pieces, you are probably right that the effect of a 180 degrees rotation on tone is probably insignifiant.

Comment

Can you notice any difference in output between the FS-1 and SSL-5?

Comment

In the bridge position, the SSL-5 is way hotter than the FS-1. With the exact same setting on my tube amp, I have to dig hard on the strings with the FS-1 to have breakup, while with the SSL-5 I am clearly in crunch territory. At the neck position the difference in output is less noticeable. I guess the SSL-5 response is set on harmonics more present at the bridge position than at the neck position.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable in the science of pickups could confirm or not my hypothesis.

I admit I was quite surprised by the difference in output, since these pickups are often presented as somewhat equivalent. Maybe the fact that David Gilmour used both of them (the SSL-5, initially labeled SSL-1c, replaced the FS-1 in his black strat) adds to the confusion. But now that I've tried both, I understand why Gilmour switched to the SSL-5, knowing his love for fuzz pedals. You get a really nice tone out of a fuzz pedal with that violent punch of mids that comes out of the SSL-5.

Comment

the fs1 is more scooped than the ssl5, both cool pups for sure

Comment

If the pickups have flat poles how they are mounted isn't an issue. If the magnets are staggered that can be a problem because string balance will be off. I tried the lefty pickups on a righty body and lefty body strung for right handed play and the string balance was poor. However, you can push out the pole pieces and reorder them so they have the right hand stagger.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                If the pickups have flat poles how they are mounted isn't an issue. If the magnets are staggered that can be a problem because string balance will be off. I tried the lefty pickups on a righty body and lefty body strung for right handed play and the string balance was poor. However, you can push out the pole pieces and reorder them so they have the right hand stagger.
                people say you can do that but its risky on old style pups that have flatwork, not plastic bobbins. the wire is wound right on the rod magnets so you could kill your pup. i have a dead ssl3 on my bench from just this

Comment

Working...
                X