banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Screamin Demon paired with Stra-Bro90?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Screamin Demon paired with Stra-Bro90?

I'm looking for your thoughts on a bridge humbucker to pair with the Stra-Bro90. I've had this pickup since the original run, and shamefully never installed it. This is going into an S-X-H alder-bodied strat with a Wilkinson VS100.

This guitar has previously had a Screamin Demon in the bridge position, and I was very happy with that tone. Crystal clear, articulate, and every note in a chord just bloomed and rang out to where you could hear every note. I'm on the bridge pickup the majority of the time, so I'm leaning towards the Demon because I know it works in this guitar, I'm just wondering how well it's going to work with the Stra-Bro90, both in output and in tonal character.

I'm always open to other recommendations. My preference is a slightly-scooped medium-output A5 with a little of that PAF vibe. The PATB-3 also seems like a great option. I think the C5 could work, too, especially split to match the Stra-Bro90's coil tap, but I'm already rocking the C5 in two other guitars.
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Re: Thoughts on Screamin Demon paired with Stra-Bro90?

if you like the coil split of the custom 5 but don't want the same pickup again, how about the custom/59 hybrid SH-16?
    But since you like the Demon already:
    since it's a bright and not too hot PU i think it matches quite well with singles.
    It also has a kind of single coilish highend/attack so it's one of the best if not the best option.
    the demon is quite open and not compressed sounding at all, also the EQ is rather scooped so you don't get to much of a EQ shift switch from neck to bridge.
    I personally hate to switch from a clear bright single coil sound to a mid heavy Bridge PU.
    Although i don't know the STra-Bro90 and how well it matches a p-90 sound. so maybe a warmer bucker might be OK
    Last edited by ToneFiddler; 06-09-2020, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Sounds cool!

I like the demon and full shreds.

Anything p90-esque gets my ears perked up.

Comment

if you like the demon, then run with it. i have a set of strabro90s and they are great. i wish the tap wasnt in the middle but its a great pup and if you are ordering it you can tell em what ya want. alnico rods on the wound strings, adjustable poles on the skinny strings is the way they were meant to be used and the way i use them. others use em the other way for whatever reason. if it was me, id get 8.5k/13.5k or something like that and i think it would match great with a demon or other medium output bucker

Comment

Thanks. I already have the Stra-Bro90, original run from way back when... just never installed it. It measures 7.05k/14.04k. I’m a big fan of the SXH layout and I do use the middle position with the split humbucker quite a bit. It’s an odd pairing, just thought I’d see if anyone else had done it.
          Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

ah, yeah. missed that "original run" bit from the first post. i totally think its worth a try. patb3 is a fine match if you dont wanna use the demon. the hybrid if you want a little more push but less of a paf type tone

Comment

Working...
            X