Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheapest good compressor?

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Some compressors do the county 'pop' on every note, and some come on so gentle that you can barely hear them working. Some have a blend knob, too. It really depends on what you want to do with the compressor. A Dyna Comp has the pop thing, while a modded CS-3 is more subtle.
    That musta been what that durned Joyo was doing

Didn't seem to do anything

Added some static crackling to the signal
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The Joyo just sucks. I had one too, for a week or two. Bleh.
      I've never played the Boss but I would think the MXR Dynacomp or Supercomp would be great for country? I've had them both and moved them along because I do not play country. The Supercomp I almost kept just because the bypass did something really nice to my dirty amp's sound!

Comment

The Vise Grip straddles the line between those kind of compressors. I built a BYOC 5 Knob Compressor that does it, too. Obviously, the more it can do, the more expensive it is. The stock CS-3 clamps down way too hard for me, and I don't like the sound. I generally use compressors for a few things...a solo & sustain boost, and for either steel string or nylon string guitar, to help flatten the piezo peaks.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Mission accomplished...

B
          Attached Files
          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

CS3
            Nice choice
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
              CS3
              Nice choice
              Thanks.

It does exactly what I want! So it is the right choice for me.

B

Comment

The CS-3 is a great all-around compressor. Flexible enough to do what er you need. There are quieter/pluckier/more bendable/more transparent/more tweekable ones available, but I'd never feel unable to do what I need if I had that.

If I'm going for maximum cluck and quash tones, I'd probably go Dyna Comp. But there are things that won't do, or let me adjust.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I could never like the Dyna Comp. I always found it too squishy you know... Not enough knobs for me.

Tastes...

I was checking out YouTube and grabbed this pic from an old Brent Mason vid.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BMsetup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	5820799

I gotta try this the second I get the chance.

B

PS: Here is the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmqMd3wdet4

Comment

The CS3 has some mods out there to investigate- it has its own unique sound. For me, it is a little too 'pumpy' the way it comes on, but some mods address that.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like the Moore Yellow, but it doesn't have many knobs.

Comment

I have a Monte Allums nodded one I use on acoustic. Love it!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200614_164756-sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	5820823

I couldn't pass this opportunity... NPD x 2 for me... an alter ego and a phase 90 for quite a good price.

Now the board is getting done (I could use an MXR Timmy instead of that joyo crunchbox)... But I am not in hurry.

B

Comment

BTW, I like that Boss CS-3 quite a bit. It does exactly what it is supposed to do.

B

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                              I used a Marshall ED-1 Compressor for years. It's a pretty good sounding compressor going from lots of squish to very subtle (seemed best set to just even out hard funk style strumming), and pretty full featured. Main problems are that it's noisy at extremely high compression/volume levels and doesn't have a great bypass. They usually pop up from 40 - 60$ used.
                              I have an ED-1. Until I bought my Route 66 v2, it was my go-to comp. I play a lot of Country, so the comp is always on. Another cheapie, if you can find one is a Danelectro Surf & Turf. They're super cheap.

Reverb is a marketplace bringing together a wide-spanning community to buy, sell, and discuss all things music gear.
                              -Butch

Comment

Surf and Turf - good call from the mini line! Lotta love for that.

Comment

Working...
                                X