Hydro Dipped Swirl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydro Dipped Swirl

Has anyone done a swirl finish on a guitar like some of the Jems have? My daughter for her 3rd birthday wants a rainbow guitar so i started thinking what i could do. I decided on doing a swirl with a color shifting paint and black. Stewmac has some half sized guitar kits so I'm going to order a telecaster one, and i have some parts kicking around so i plan to build a strat with the same finish that she can have when shes older but in the meantime i get to play.

Any advice or things i should be cautious of?
    What kind of paint should i use?
    sigpic
    Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Re: Hydro Dipped Swirl

I know several people have tried their hand at it, and I see them for sale all the time online. It's almost normal at this point, not trendy.

I learned to do it in the early 70's on model cars when psychedelia was all the rage. Haven't done a guitar like that since the 80's. Hate to say it, but it makes me yawn.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Nice, sounds like a fun project. Might want pm the dude on here that was making swirl pedal cases, was it J.LaGrassa?

Comment

There are a ton of videos online about how to do it and what to use

Watch a bunch filter the bs out

You'll need a large garbage can and probably a liner

Then some oil based paint I think

The videos really go in depth
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          I know several people have tried their hand at it, and I see them for sale all the time online. It's almost normal at this point, not trendy.

I learned to do it in the early 70's on model cars when psychedelia was all the rage. Haven't done a guitar like that since the 80's. Hate to say it, but it makes me yawn.
          I can see what you mean. I've personally never really liked them but it was the best way I could think of doing a rainbow guitar for her. I showed her a picture of the guitar kit from stewmac last year and she still brings up from time to time that she want a rainbow guitar for her birthday so i figured I'd give it a shot.
          sigpic
          Dunlop Crybaby
          MXR Custom Comp
          GFS Twin Overdrive
          Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
          Blackstar HT-DISTX

Comment

She may be expecting something more my little pony
            EHD

Comment

I have this reservation against submerging your guitar in water/floatie paint after the manufacture spent the time and resources to kiln drying the wood in order to make for best resonation possible.

But I guess if you seal it up the best you can, and the guitar is only in the water for a few seconds at a time. Maybe it's not such a big deal.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Junior View Post
                I have this reservation against submerging your guitar in water/floatie paint after the manufacture spent the time and resources to kiln drying the wood in order to make for best resonation possible.

But I guess if you seal it up the best you can, and the guitar is only in the water for a few seconds at a time. Maybe it's not such a big deal.

Just a thought.
                I believe the procedure involves a full color coat of paint for a base
                Probably clearcoat and all
                EHD

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                  Swirls are usually done with either a black or white base coat, depending on what overall effect you're after.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                    Swirls are usually done with either a black or white base coat, depending on what overall effect you're after.
                    thank you
                    I was gonna leave that up to the OP

but thanks for clarifying that

you are great
                    EHD

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

The control cavities/wire passages as well? a dude will need to find a way to seal/plug that off too.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                        That's a good point that I didn't think of, what's the difference between the colors of base coat?
                        sigpic
                        Dunlop Crybaby
                        MXR Custom Comp
                        GFS Twin Overdrive
                        Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                        Blackstar HT-DISTX

Comment

Originally posted by The_Junior View Post
                          The control cavities/wire passages as well? a dude will need to find a way to seal/plug that off too.
                          My plan is to tape off the control cavities and neck pocket, then later used shielding paint in the cavities and leave the pocket unfinished.
                          sigpic
                          Dunlop Crybaby
                          MXR Custom Comp
                          GFS Twin Overdrive
                          Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                          Blackstar HT-DISTX

Comment

Originally posted by NoOnesFang13 View Post
                            That's a good point that I didn't think of, what's the difference between the colors of base coat?
                            This one is a black base:

It was pretty hard to find an example, but this one appears to be a white base:
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Well I got the stuff in and it didn't go according to plan. A lot of the pigment sank to the bottom but I did manage to achieve an oil slick kind of look. And my daughter referred to it as rainbow so that's a win. I think if I were to do it again I would need a sprayer. But I thinking looks kind of cool.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                              sigpic
                              Dunlop Crybaby
                              MXR Custom Comp
                              GFS Twin Overdrive
                              Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                              Blackstar HT-DISTX

Comment

Working...
                              X