NBD - Fender JMJ Mustang Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBD - Fender JMJ Mustang Bass

I used to own one of the CIJ Mustang Basses and I foolishly sold it and regretted it ever since. I finally decided to sell off my Jazz Bass as it was no fun to play and pulled the trigger on this: Fender Justin Meldal-Johnsen Mustang Bass. It ticks all the boxes I want in a Mustang. It showed up today and it's everything I love about playing a Mustang. The tone, the feel, it's just fun to play!

-
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Re: NBD - Fender JMJ Mustang Bass

Congrats! That is a great color, too. I have a friend with a Mustang Bass that put a Hot Rails guitar pickup in there. Fun stuff.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Congrats! That is a great color, too. I have a friend with a Mustang Bass that put a Hot Rails guitar pickup in there. Fun stuff.
      longcat has a Cool Rails bridge in her Squier Bronco. With flat wounds it's a very Jameson-esque sort of tone.

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Interestingly enough the JMJ Mustang Bass has a specific pickup made my Seymour Duncan.
        -

Comment

Nice. Love the color too.

But curious. What didn't you like about the J-bass?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Nice. Love the color too.

But curious. What didn't you like about the J-bass?
            Thx!

It's weird about the J Bass. I owned it for like 15 years. I had it set up properly but for whatever reason it was just no fun to play. It was a 2001 MIM Standard. The reason I held on to it for so long is that the TONE was insane from it. I had SD Quarter Pound pickups in there along with a push/pull to switch the pickups between series and parallel. It was absolutely massive sounding. But it was also HEAVY. Overall it sounded great but felt like a chore to play. At one point I owned an American Deluxe Jazz Bass and that thing played like butter, so it's not J Basses in general. Maybe it's because I've spent the last 10 years primarily on guitar that I now find the Mustang Bass much more comfortable.
            -

Comment

Ah. That makes sense. I always play mine sitting down. So the weight isn't a big issue.

I have a Quarter Pound in my P-Bass. Love it. I got a QP for my J-bass from ItsaBass, but I also got a set of Apollo's, so haven't tried it yet.
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-10-2020, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Yep that J was like a boat anchor. The Mustang weighs in at a hair over 8 lbs on the kitchen scale.
                -

Comment

Mine weighs in a 7 lbs, but it's a Tobias. Not a Fender. So apples & oranges.

Edit: Just for fun, I measured my MIM Fender P-Bass. It comes in at 9 lbs. Both were measured on a bathroom scale by me measuring myself, then with me holding the bass and subtracting. I wouldn't be surprised if those reading are off by +/- 1/2 pound. (Or more.)
                  Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-10-2020, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X