Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil splitting question

Hey all, hope everyone's doing well.
    I have a JB/Jazz set with a 3 way toggle and a coil split (push/pull volume pot). With the standard wiring the split turns off the outer coils. I would like it to turn off the inner coils. Trying to figure out the wiring. I just need to know which 2 wires go together, which wire goes with ground and which wire is hot. And most importantly, does this change the sound of the pickups when in hum bucker mode?
    Thanks!!

Re: Coil splitting question

Originally posted by Punch Drunk View Post
    Hey all, hope everyone's doing well.
    I have a JB/Jazz set with a 3 way toggle and a coil split (push/pull volume pot). With the standard wiring the split turns off the outer coils. I would like it to turn off the inner coils. Trying to figure out the wiring. I just need to know which 2 wires go together, which wire goes with ground and which wire is hot. And most importantly, does this change the sound of the pickups when in hum bucker mode?
    Thanks!!
    [Oops... i misread what you wanted... i see now that you want Inner coils to be turned off, not on. My statements below have been updated accordingly]

Assuming your push-pull switch has the Finish wire pair from each pickup going to the middle lugs of the push-pull switch, and the Black wire of each pickup is the one that is being used as the Hot wire to the 3 way pickup selector switch:

1. route the pair from the bridge pickup to the same lug of the 3 way pickup selector switch that the bridge pickup Hot wire is attached to.

2. and route the finish wire pair from the neck pickup to ground.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 06-09-2020, 07:24 PM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
      [Oops... i misread what you wanted... i see now that you want Inner coils to be turned off, not on. My statements below have been updated accordingly]

Assuming your push-pull switch has the Finish wire pair from each pickup going to the middle lugs of the push-pull switch, and the Black wire of each pickup is the one that is being used as the Hot wire to the 3 way pickup selector switch:

1. route the pair from the bridge pickup to the same lug of the 3 way pickup selector switch that the bridge pickup Hot wire is attached to.

2. and route the finish wire pair from the neck pickup to ground.
      That would leave his pups in a "permanent" split mode.

A simple way to change which coil each pup splits to is to run the black wire (instead of the green wire) of each pup to ground, and use the green wire (instead of the black wire) as the lead. Leave the p/p wired as is, with the red + white wires to the pole terminals. If you do this with BOTH pups you will split to the outer coils (turn off the inner coils) and you won't have any phase issues.

No, this won't affect the tone of either pup when in humbucker (series/unsplit) mode.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

A simple way to change which coil each pup splits to is to run the black wire (instead of the green wire) of each pup to ground, and use the green wire (instead of the black wire) as the lead. Leave the p/p wired as is, with the red + white wires to the pole terminals. If you do this with BOTH pups you will split to the outer coils (turn off the inner coils) and you won't have any phase issues.

No, this won't affect the tone of either pup when in humbucker (series/unsplit) mode.
        Awesome, thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

I didn't write it explicitly because i assumed it was understood, but when i talked about routing the signal from each of the Finish wire pairs, that would be starting from the lugs of the push-pull switch that are associated with the Up position of the push-pull switch. So there would be no "permanence" problem like you mentioned.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
          X