Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson SG standard vs ESP E-II viper

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    Weights? Nibs? Headstock braces? You spend too much time online man.
    I was quite obviously exaggerating, hinting at the particular model being notoriously neck-heavy, the propensity of Gibson's headstocks to break off due to their necks being carved from one piece and not using a scarfjoint, thus rendering the part of the neck that shoulders the most tension the weakest point of the whole construction. Also good luck finding someone who will refret it and keep those precious nibs. Besides, there are really people out there putting weight int their flawless guitars to keep the headstock from launching inti the ground. I'm not saying its normal or good, but it happens. But like I said: that is your opinion and it is fine. But that doesn't render othet people' s oppinion bullshyte.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      I really want a cheap LTD 256 as my SG substitute!

Maybe toss a pair of Whole Lotta's in there....
      I like that one too. Especially the transparent cherry finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
        I call BS on everybody saying ESPs are hands-down better quality than Gibsons. I worked in music retail from 2009 until 2019 and was a dealer for both brands the entire time. They are equal build quality and we sent just as many ESPs back home for problems as we did Gibsons. If your local store has ****ty guitars in it it's because the people who work there don't know or care to send the bad ones back.
        i did retail from 2007 until 2015. we got 100s of LTDs that were far more consistent than Gibson, let alone the E-II series he's asking about. If you or anyone else prefers Gibson to ESP, I totally get it. But consistency and flawless QC was not their strong suit in that era.
        Quality riffs in about a minute...
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Ever thought about an 'Edwards' sg if you're leaning toward the traditional sg look?.

I'm not sure what tier Edwards is among LTD/ESP, but they are advertised as some entity to ESP.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Junior View Post
            Ever thought about an 'Edwards' sg if you're leaning toward the traditional sg look?.

I'm not sure what tier Edwards is among LTD/ESP, but they are advertised as some entity to ESP.
            Edwards is a brand owned by ESP that's intended primarily for the Japanese domestic market. Build quality is on par with or slightly better than LTD.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcupholder View Post
              ESPs are much higher quality than Gibson.
              I think Gibson is a jacked up company...but I find this statement pure BS.

Maybe you should explain what you think "quality" is. I can walk in any GC/SA and pull and SG off the wall and rock it. Not gonna rock any more or less than the ESP.

What do YOU call quality - in legitimate terms.

I'll take less consistent in details
              More likely to need a setup or whatever
              Too expensive for what you get compared to others

But that isn't "quality". At best - the first is quality - sometimes. But 9/10 SG's are just fine (if over-priced...)
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                I think Gibson is a jacked up company...but I find this statement pure BS.

Maybe you should explain what you think "quality" is. I can walk in any GC/SA and pull and SG off the wall and rock it. Not gonna rock any more or less than the ESP.

What do YOU call quality - in legitimate terms.

I'll take less consistent in details
                More likely to need a setup or whatever
                Too expensive for what you get compared to others

But that isn't "quality". At best - the first is quality - sometimes. But 9/10 SG's are just fine (if over-priced...)
                "Sure you might need to fix a brand new expensive guitar, but that isn't about quality"... Of course it's quality. Quality means being confident you could walk into a store and every guitar you try from a brand would be well-made with no noticeable manufacturing flaws: no poorly cut nut that requires retuning every 10 minutes, no tool markings on the binding, no finish chips around the tailpiece bushings.

Quality can also mean design issues, like a headstock that's notorious for breaking.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigcupholder View Post
                  "
                  Quality can also mean design issues, like a headstock that's notorious for breaking.
                  I feel 15 and landed on my Les Paul in the gig bag and not even a scratch on the headstock. I would take an SG over an LTD any day. It is a much more flexible guitar, it can be used for anything. As far as getting a great SG under a grand the SG Specials are very nice. If you want to go under $500 look at the Epiphone GS400 it is an amazing guitar. I own 5 Gibsons I was the first owner with all of them and never ran into a quality problem with any of them. And please do not tell me I am lucky because many other beautiful Gibsons have passed through my hands over the years.

Comment

Working...
                  X