Need help from the guru's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help from the guru's.

This is probably a lot to ask, but I'm trying to identify the amp models of my Vox ToneLab. They, of course, identify the Vox models, and certain ones, like "Tweed" and "Black" are pretty easy to identify. But I'd love to know what the others are. I'm especially interested in if any of them are a Hiwatt model. And if any cabs are Fane. This is the relevant segment from the owners manual. My deep thanks to anyone who takes this on.

Thanks all;
    Artie

vox-valvetronix-tonelab-segment.pdf

Re: Need help from the guru's.

I thought so too, but one of the descriptions sounds HiWatt-ish. That's why I need the amp guru's.

The sidenote of this thread is that I got a wild hair up my arse to hear what a Hiwatt sounds like. I definitely can't afford one, but several of my modelers "fake" it. Most of my others identify it by name, but the ToneLab doesn't. And the TL sounds good with it's real tube.

Comment

#9: UK Modern. But, they say it's a hybrid of #7 & #8, which read more like Marshalls. So, I just don't know.

Comment

You're probably right. As I read it over more, #5, 6 ,7 ,8 & 9 all appear to be Marshalls. I was hoping they'd throw a Hiwatt in there.

Comment

You don't hear a lot of modelers model a Hiwatt, which is a shame. So many great, classic players used them, and they should be more popular than they are. I think a lot of people might have trouble identifying them as clearly as they can identify a 'Plexi sound' or 'tweed sound'.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

And what's funny is, my old Johnson J-Station calls out a HiWatt by name. Preset #17 is a Hiwatt Custom 50, and one of the cab sims is a Fane 4x12. I think I have one more modeler that does also. I'll have to double check tomorrow.

Comment

I don't want to start a new thread. Can someone who's familiar with them, describe the "sound" of a classic Hiwatt?

Comment

Early The Who?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Classic tracks by The Who, Pink Floyd and King Crimson. Loud and clean. Bold. Great with a fuzz pedal.

Comment

I've been listening to some YouTube stuff. I'm surprised by the "clean" stuff. For some reason, I always thought that Hiwatt was synonymous with super-hi-gain dirt. Now I want one even more.

Comment

Also, Tommy Bolin in Deep Purple: Hiwatt with a Sam Ash fuzz, which is more like a germanium treble boost. The other thing that made Hiwatts sound the way they did was the cabinets; I have a mid 70s Hiwatt 4x12, and it is EXTREMELY HEAVY and loaded with Fane Crescendos (square back), which are incredibly sensitive speakers that break up quite early; combined with the amp you get a sound that's very touch sensitive, beyond loud, and is reasonably clean, though in reality it has a lot of harmonics.
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Yeah, I forgot about Tommy Bolin! His sound was wonderful.

Comment

The guys on That Pedal Show bought a Hiwatt either last year or 2 years ago and they have a great video or 2 with it
                          sigpic
                          Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                          Dunlop Crybaby
                          MXR Custom Comp
                          GFS Twin Overdrive
                          Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                          Blackstar HT-DISTX
                          Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Originally posted by NoOnesFang13 View Post
                            The guys on That Pedal Show bought a Hiwatt either last year or 2 years ago and they have a great video or 2 with it
                            That's the one where he gets all emotional because "it's such a great sound and we can never use it live," right?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                              That's the one where he gets all emotional because "it's such a great sound and we can never use it live," right?
                              To be fair, Dan gets emotional over everything...
                              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                              X