BD-2 vs BD-2w?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BD-2 vs BD-2w?

I bought a used BD-2 a little over twenty odd years ago. About fifteen years ago keeley was posting the components to change (for a slightly more low-mids and bass response online), so I followed the instructions and it has regularly been on my board ever since. Usually I'm running it into a completely clean fender style amp with the gain at about 9 o'clock, and using my guitar volume control to clean it up (can get it all the way back to sparkly clean like this). Unfortunately, my BD-2 has started to die. It works OK for 5-10 minutes after powered on, and then a crackling noise appears and gets progressively louder and louder. Tried checking the input/output jacks, and turning the pots back and forth to clean them. I've also popped the back off it and done some simple circuit testing/debugging but can't figure out exactly what is causing the problem so figure it's time for a new one.

I've been reading that the newer BD-2s have gone to all surface mounted components on a tinier circuit board, so I wouldn't be able to do the mod I previously did. Is the BD-2w pretty much a BD-2 with a switch for a little bit more low end? Because that sounds like what I want. Anyone with experience using both BD-2 and BD-2w have any comments/suggestions?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: BD-2 vs BD-2w?

I dunno about the circuits. Sorry.

Couldn't you find an old used one?

These said, I think the regular BD-2 sounds better.

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

There is a reference for how to tell the difference between the SMT and through hole versions. IIRC, the power jack changed prior to the switchover, so you can definitively tell if a BD-2 is SMT but not the opposite.

My understanding is the standard mode should match the standard BD-2 and the custom mode is generally inspired by the Keeley, Analogman, etc. mods. If you like the one you have, I’d try to find a through hole and do the same mod. (Or just crazy with your SMT mods.. )
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        There is a reference for how to tell the difference between the SMT and through hole versions. IIRC, the power jack changed prior to the switchover, so you can definitively tell if a BD-2 is SMT but not the opposite.
        I've read that before, but the power jack thing is a lie. The jack on my BD-2 is the newer style one, but it's all through hole on a big board inside.

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        My understanding is the standard mode should match the standard BD-2 and the custom mode is generally inspired by the Keeley, Analogman, etc. mods. If you like the one you have, I’d try to find a through hole and do the same mod. (Or just crazy with your SMT mods.. )
        Ugh. it's very frustrating to solder SMT stuff. At least for me.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          I've read that before, but the power jack thing is a lie. The jack on my BD-2 is the newer style one, but it's all through hole on a big board inside
          Ugh. it's very frustrating to solder SMT stuff. At least for me.
          I may have stated it the opposite, what I mean is if you can find the old power jack, it’s definitely through hole.

I’ll tell you who’s never going to attempt SMT mods... haha My standard soldering is barely good enough.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yours seems to work then after five to ten minutes it fades and dies

Replace the Jack's

My Laney GC80A amp had the exact same problem
            And it was an effect loop jack that was failing

Heats up and opens up

Reflow the solder on the connections first
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
              Yours seems to work then after five to ten minutes it fades and dies

Replace the Jack's

My Laney GC80A amp had the exact same problem
              And it was an effect loop jack that was failing

Heats up and opens up

Reflow the solder on the connections first
              Sorry for the hijack but my I have a similar problem with my SD 84-40 the I recapped it and fix some "mods" the previous owner did according to the schematic. The power section works great as i can plug into the effects return and it works fine, but when i plug into the input it starts out fine then slowly fades and gets sputtery. I think i remember the jack being a little messed up looking when i had it apart but didnt think the jack would be the issue im having.
              sigpic
              Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
              Dunlop Crybaby
              MXR Custom Comp
              GFS Twin Overdrive
              Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
              Blackstar HT-DISTX
              Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Originally posted by NoOnesFang13 View Post
                Sorry for the hijack but my I have a similar problem with my SD 84-40 the I recapped it and fix some "mods" the previous owner did according to the schematic. The power section works great as i can plug into the effects return and it works fine, but when i plug into the input it starts out fine then slowly fades and gets sputtery. I think i remember the jack being a little messed up looking when i had it apart but didnt think the jack would be the issue im having.
                swap that jack man
                just swap that jack
                EHD

Comment

OP: how about picking up Keeley's version of the BD-2, the Phat Mod?
                  Either that or get yours repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                    OP: how about picking up Keeley's version of the BD-2, the Phat Mod?
                    Either that or get yours repaired.
                    I was debating that phat mod pedal (seems to sound a lot like the BD-2w C mode), but it's true bypass and I really like having the buffered bypass my BD-2 brings.

Currently have my BD-2 open and under my big magnifying glass on my desk. The jacks are fine, and there are no cold solder joints I can see. Under magnification though, I'm seeing something that looks like little metal hairs that seem to be bridging some connections that shouldn't be bridged on the circuit board. Not sure what's up with that. I'm going to carefully scrape them away and see if that fixes my issue.

Comment

Don't forget about the JB-2. It has a tweaked BD-2 and Angry Charlie together.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                        I was debating that phat mod pedal (seems to sound a lot like the BD-2w C mode), but it's true bypass and I really like having the buffered bypass my BD-2 brings.

Currently have my BD-2 open and under my big magnifying glass on my desk. The jacks are fine, and there are no cold solder joints I can see. Under magnification though, I'm seeing something that looks like little metal hairs that seem to be bridging some connections that shouldn't be bridged on the circuit board. Not sure what's up with that. I'm going to carefully scrape them away and see if that fixes my issue.
                        I was thinking about your issue, if nothing is bridged, do you think it could be a cap going bad?
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I am tentatively hoping saying that the little metal hairs were the problem. After scraping them away I didn't hear the weird noise when using the pedal last night. It's weird, like they were growing out of the solder joints.

Comment

Solder whiskers?

I had forgotten that was a phenomenon. Glad it seems to be working!
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I saw some youtube video about a chemical reaction with aluminum and something
                              mercury I think

that did that
                              dramatically
                              EHD

Comment

Working...
                              X