Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Controversial Amplifier Hot Takes

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    There's nothing a high gain amp can do that a clean amp with a few pedals can't do better.
    Except metal. Metal sounds mediocre at best using even the best pedals into a clean amp. That's my hot take.

Oh! And also: Any incarnation of the 5150 sounds horrible with the mids set above 4.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-13-2020, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Great tone is worthless without good guitar parts and a song to be part of.
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
        Great tone is worthless without good guitar parts and a song to be part of.
        Wait, that’s controversial?
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by bigcupholder View Post
          Running distortion pedals into a clean amp is the worst way to get high gain tone.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
          Any high gain amp that's 100 watts is already doing this when you think about it. It's just using preamp tube distortion, virtually no power tube contribution. You can connect a tube pedal in the loop to effectively replace the preamp of a high wattage clean amp to get similar high gain tones.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Everyone hated JCM900s when they came out and now they are beloved.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Everything>Telecasters
              How is that a controversial amp hot take? Telecasters make terrible amplifiers.

Comment

no one actually knows what power tube distortion sounds like

Comment

Being mainly into a tight modern metal sound, I don't think that I like power tube distortion that much.
                  I can probably get it with my 5 watt Picovalve turned all the way up, and it's ok, but much better for a classic rock sound.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Power tube distortion>preamp tube distortion

Some silverfaces sound really, really good.

The classic Dual Rect sound makes every guitar player, guitar, and song sound the same.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i agree some silverface amps sound great

youve never heard power tube distortion without preamp distortion and probably pi distortion, maybe even speaker breakup

Comment

Cleans hide sloppy playing and heavy gain exaggerates it.

People who say it's the other way around must have never used really high gain.
                        Last edited by dave74; 06-14-2020, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

Or you've never used either really, really loudly.
                          If you don't play super loud cleans clearly, they sound like crap. If you play distorted super loud, you probably won't hear much unless you are at least 30' in front of the cabinets.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

Depends whether you think picking dynamics are harder to control than muting. The compression you get with high gain is both a positive and a negative in terms of making things easier to play.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                              Any high gain amp that's 100 watts is already doing this when you think about it. It's just using preamp tube distortion, virtually no power tube contribution. You can connect a tube pedal in the loop to effectively replace the preamp of a high wattage clean amp to get similar high gain tones.
                              Sure, but I thought you meant distortion pedals based on transistor clipping. I know people who run fairly cheap distortion pedals into the clean channel on a Marshall and think it sounds better than the distortion channel (it really really doesn't).

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                The classic Dual Rect sound makes every guitar player, guitar, and song sound the same.
                                YES!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X