Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Controversial Amplifier Hot Takes

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Past $1k, you get less and less for your money.
    Yeah, and on Solid Body Electric Guitars past around 1200 bucks, you transition from functional and tonal improvements to pure aesthetic appointments that have no impact on tone or function.

For Semi and Hollow bodies, it starts a little higher.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The Line 6 Spidervalve is, for the money, a hidden jem.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

The Brown sound really ain’t all that.
        "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

If you're not looking for distortion, you shouldn't even bother trying to amplify whatever garbage music it is you think people want to hear you play.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
            If you're not looking for distortion, you shouldn't even bother trying to amplify whatever garbage music it is you think people want to hear you play.
            Would you have said that to Segovia?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Would you have said that to Segovia?

If I spoke Spanish, I would have.

Comment

^^ don't give a hoot what an amp sounds like clean personally....so I can relate..
                "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
                  The Brown sound really ain’t all that.
                  BOOM!

Comment

Speaking of, and speaking of controversy...

The "Brown Sound" has nothing to do with amps.

In talking with Billboard’s Chuck Klosterman, Van Halen was asked if he has synesthesia, which essentially is the ability to “see” sound, as one sense triggers a reaction in another sense in the body.

Interestingly enough, Van Halen said that when he referred to the brown sound, he actually meant his brother Alex’s drumming.

That’s funny, because people took that whole ‘brown sound’ thing totally out of context,” he said. “I was never talking about my guitar tone. I was talking about Alex’s snare drum. I’ve always thought Alex’s snare drum sounds like he’s beating on a log. It’s very organic. So it wasn’t my brown sound. It was Alex’s.

Klosterman then asked how the confusion originally occurred.

“It happened years ago. People would ask me about his drumming, and the only way I could explain it was that it had a very brown sound,” Van Halen noted. “I’m glad you brought this up, actually, so people can finally understand what I was talking about.”

Comment

Small combo amps sound boxy and terrible. (I'm looking at you, Princeton)

Big combos sound great even at low volume.

The Metal Zone is the worst sounding pedal ever made.
                      -
                      My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
                        Dumble tone is overrated.

The Recto series is homogenous and overrated.

Perfecting your technique is overrated when you can turn up the gain and play super fast, more notes through expensive gear always compensates for terrible vibrato and poor hand coordination.

Jim Marshall made a bunch of shrill, crappy sounding amps that nobody likes, and they've gotten crappier over time, people just think gold is cool.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
                        The difference between playing cleanly/precisely and sloppy through distortion is incredibly obvious,m especially through the more expensive amps. Some of the best metal rhythm distortion sounds have less gain than you think and have great technique with precise, tight and hard palm muting, clarity and precision (ie. being able to make the guitar shut up between stop/start parts and not having superfluous strings ringing out.) The best shredders play precisely so you can hear every note whether it's clean or distorted as the cleaner the runs, the more clarity of each note. Anything else is a nightmare to sound engineers. Rectifiers are awesome and it all comes down to how you use them. They're incredibly versatile.
                        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                          The one time you can’t go wrong with a Metal Zone is when you want to sound like a Metal Zone.
                          You mis-spelled 'crap' in that post.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

A halfway decent guitar with mid gain pickups into aMetalzone into the cleanest loudest SS amp you can find through fairly neutral speakers that can handle the power without breaking up, gets you the best base death metal tone.
                            Of course, then there's picking...

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
                              Small combo amps sound boxy and terrible. (I'm looking at you, Princeton)

Big combos sound great even at low volume.

The Metal Zone is the worst sounding pedal ever made.
                              In defense of the Metal Zone, I saw a video where Ola Englund used it as a stand-alone pre-amp going into the return of an effects loop, and it sounded SO much better than running it into the front of the same amp. Worlds of difference in the tone.

Last edited by guitfiddle; 06-19-2020, 01:41 PM.
                              - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                              Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                              The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
                                In defense of the Metal Zone, I saw a video where Ola Englund used it as a stand-alone pre-amp going into the return of an effects loop, and it sounded SO much better than running it into the front of the same amp. Worlds of difference in the tone.

In offense against the Metal Zone, that's a demonstration of how much better the metal zone sounds when not used as designed.
                                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                                X