ABY With Panned Delay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY With Panned Delay.

Right now I'm using a TC Nova delay with panned delay in use for 2 amps in stereo. I go from my OD mono into the Nova, then stereo out from there to the TC HOF2. It's stereo out from there to both amps. At the moment, the panned delay works as it should and washes between the 2 amps.

I'm thinking of adding an ABY box after the HOF2. This way I use the ABY as it should be used for amp switching and stereo.

The problem I forsee is the panned delay. If I have only 1 amp engaged at the ABY, will the Nova skip the delay that goes to the other side? Like, right now the delay alternates between the 2 amps. The delay hits to the left, then the next one goes right and they alternate.

If I have only amp A on at the ABY, will I not the get the panned delay for the other side at all? As in, would my delay be half the speed because the B channel is muted?

I hope that makes sense. That's the best way I can describe it. If I kill one amp, do I lose one half of my panned delay?

Nevermind. I'm an idiot. I can just put one amp in standby now to check. I'm just not sure if the Nova delay can tell the side has been killed, and also kill the paned delay.

I had an idiot moment.
    Last edited by Bronze Buzzard; 06-13-2020, 03:19 PM.
    I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Re: ABY With Panned Delay.

Hah! Been manually flipping standbys back and forth and tweaking the delay. It's dialed to still wash back and forth, but not so heavy.

When one amp is running, one part of the delay hits harder than the opposite side, bit still works for effect. It seems to be all about balance on the two sides, and how you tune the rig.

I think I can add the ABY and use it properly. Any suggestions in ABY boxes in this scenario?

Comment

My guess is 1/2 the delay (and 1/2 the speed) if one side is muted. But that would be if your delay is the last thing...some pedals, like reverb, sum the inputs and split them again afterwards.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        My guess is 1/2 the delay (and 1/2 the speed) if one side is muted. But that would be if your delay is the last thing...some pedals, like reverb, sum the inputs and split them again afterwards.
        HOF2 is last after the Nova. I think I have it figured out, just need to order the right ABY.

Im so freaking happy that you understand what I'm saying. It's hard sometimes.

Comment

If you are going to have an ABY, aren’t you going to need everything to be mono prior to it? Usually by unplugging the stereo outs, the pedal converts to standard mono delay.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            If you are going to have an ABY, aren’t you going to need everything to be mono prior to it? Usually by unplugging the stereo outs, the pedal converts to standard mono delay.
            No.

If I could get pics to load up in here, this would be a lot easier.

Edit:

Oh, ok. You are right. I need a box that can take stereo in, and go stereo out for all of my amp selections with this setup.

Back to the drawing board.
            Last edited by Bronze Buzzard; 06-14-2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronze Buzzard View Post
              No.

If I could get pics to load up in here, this would be a lot easier.
              Are you looking for your current setup, then an ABY like this:
              -A: Amp 1 in Mono
              -B: Amp 2 in Mono
              -Y: Amps 1 & 2 in Stereo

Is that what you want? Have you identified an ABY you want to use?
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                Are you looking for your current setup, then an ABY like this:
                -A: Amp 1 in Mono
                -B: Amp 2 in Mono
                -Y: Amps 1 & 2 in Stereo

Is that what you want? Have you identified an ABY you want to use?
                You were right the first time. I see my mistake now.
                I'm trying to go stereo out from the HOF2, into an amp selecting switch.

I'm full of idiot moments lately. Let me dig a little to see if I can find what I need.
                Last edited by Bronze Buzzard; 06-14-2020, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Closest I can find so far is this, Morley ABY Mix Input Mixer Combiner. That should do what I want, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Bronze Buzzard View Post
                    Closest I can find so far is this, Morley ABY Mix Input Mixer Combiner. That should do what I want, right?
                    Unless I'm reading the pedal specs wrong, no.

That pedal appears to mix the input 1 & 2 signals down to mono and then send to output A, output B, or both. With one amp on, you'd get both repeats coming out of that amp in mono. With both amps on, you'd get both repeats out of both amps in dual mono. It sounds like you want a solution that will mute either amp as well as switching your delay to an appropriate preset at the same time, which isn't hard to do with a midi-controlled loop switcher and delay processor. To accomplish the same thing with pedals, I'd use a stereo pan pedal along with a delay with foot-switchable presets.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I think I figured it out, and I was just a little off on my thinking, as was pointed out.

Ended up ordering two Saturnworks latching killswitch pedals. One for each line out of the HOF. Now I will have control over amp selection after my effects.

I figured this would be a well known setup at first, but apparently its not, because I can't find a dual killswitch like I want anywhere. It seems to not exist.

Pedals should be here tomorrow or Saturday. If I'm right, this should work exactly as intended.

Comment

Working...
                      X