How hot is too hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hot is too hot?

Good morning, back on the B52 AT-100. After playing it for a while, I decided to check the bias. It was WAY hot, got a reading of 218 MA. Instruction calls for 120. I backed the trim pot down allll the way and it is now at 167 ish.

That is the sum for all 4 power tubes, if I understand the instructions. It sounds just fine, seems to operate normal. It is hot, but it always was super hot when running.

This amp, I tell ya.

Re: How hot is too hot?

With the lights out do you see any red glow on any of the plates?

Comment

Nope, only part that is lit up is above and below the plates.

Comment

I had a Fender Pro Jr,

and when I put in new tubes, that had labels on it;
        it would fry the labels off the tubes... :o

Always heard the Pro Jr, and also Blues Jr ran very high voltages :/.

sorry, I don't know enough about amps to help you. But wish you the best!

-Erl
        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

What is the plate voltage? And what tubes? You could have brought into a safe range if they are EL34s and the plate voltage is 450. (167/4 = ~41 ma) 41 ma being 70% of 55 ma.

If the amp was designed for EL34s and your running a 6L6 or 6550 that would explain the initial extra high reading.

Comment

This has 6L6GC tubes. Sounds fine, operates just as hot as it always did and never failed at our band practice the other night and I was cranked fairly loud. The amp really doesn't owe me anything, and I would be sad if it fried but I would understand. These aren't the most reliable amplifier lol

Comment

Ah 6L6s. Assuming the plate voltage is about 450 your good at 167 for four tubes. It would only be around 62 % max plate dissipation. If the PV is less than 450 your probably a lil cold. I don't know where they came up with a 120 ma recommendation, though, unless it has like 500 volts on the plates, in which case it has no business running 6L6s in the first place.

Comment

Okay the plate voltage is reportedly only about 430. Just be sure that your measuring for 4 tubes and not for two. If it is for 4 tubes then your a little cold right now.

Comment

Working...
                X