Help me get my "record" on!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me get my "record" on!!!

OK - I REALLY need to join the 21st century and get a fast / easy and convenient way to get my guitar into a computer to make sound files to

a) Post up on sound cloud
    b) Sub in for bad video sound
    c) Just eb able to do.

I have a Mac with Garageband and Final Cut Pro and iMovie.

What is the simplest way (fast/cheap/easy) to make this happen? I'd like to be able to either maybe go straight into Garageband (Is this decent?) or be able to record off a mic (have 57 & 58) from my speaker cab.

Talk to me?!?!?!?!?!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Help me get my "record" on!!!

Just buy an audio interface. Then you need to plug the mic in one end, and the computer in the other end.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yes, just an audio interface. If you don't intend on recording many people at once, it doesn't need to be fancy. Mine is simple... L&R in, L&R out, USB3. It sounds great. I used firewire for years, but you can't find it anymore.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Will USB3 work with USB2 - My computer is from like 2011...

Comment

USB 2 should be enough throughput for a track or two of recording. Not sure if it's got the throughput for a large number of channels simultaneously. USB3 devices work in 2 ports, but will downgrade your data flow.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I just need 1 Line in at a time.

Can USB 3 device work with my old USB2 ports, just slower??? For when upgrade comes around to my computer...

Anyway...this eventually ends in over the phone counseling/consulting. Name the device specifically please.

Comment

It depends on how many tracks you are using. Firewire is better than USB2, but USB3 is better than firewire. It might be worth getting a USB3 card for a little future-proofing.

Comment

USB 3 is backwards compatible with USB 2.

What I don't get - why do so many musicians use friggin Mac computers for recording?

Comment

Macs are crazy stable for recording and live use.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    I just need 1 Line in at a time.

Can USB 3 device work with my old USB2 ports, just slower??? For when upgrade comes around to my computer...

Anyway...this eventually ends in over the phone counseling/consulting. Name the device specifically please.
                    Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or Solo would work fine and be relatively cheap.

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                    What I don't get - why do so many musicians use friggin Mac computers for recording?
                    Because 15-20 years ago the driver situation on Windows was a total sh!tshow, and OS X was a lot more stable. With the release of Windows 7 and the bloated memory hog that OS X turned into, it isn't nearly as true these days.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

My rig is very simple
                      SM57 into little USB alesis mixer/interface (to cut or add eq) straight into a cheap laptop and save file to a USB stick. (I use Reaper)

I bring the raw files in on the thumb drive and edit on my PC in the house.

I use a cheap board very similar to this one
                      Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Yep, IMO a simple interface is all you need. Two channels in - a pair of mics or a stereo signal.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I only started recording with my comp a year ago. Before that I used a loop pedal (recorded a ****load of stuff including a full-length gore-grind album with it, released on the Sony/Warner music of goregrind ie. "Bizarre Leprous productions" ) or a digital handheld recorder (line in for best results ). This was probably the pinnacle of recording quality I achieved recording that way and it's not too bad...

I still think there's nothing easier than just plugging into a loop pedal to record stuff ...have'nt given up the habit

Line out from the pedal into your computer ..and up onto youtube....done.

But otherwise, yeah..buy a cheap interface (mine's a Behringer UMC 202HD...cheap as **** & works great) and download a decent DAW ..I used Audacity for years..but Reaper is better for options (if a bit more confusing to get the hang of)
                          Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 06-15-2020, 11:02 PM.
                          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I'm even having decent results with a Lexicon Alpha. Also, if you want FAST, then its worth trying recording clean DI tracks and using some quality plugins. I recently tried out some Toontrack stuff fir example and for my purposes it impressed. Not cheap though, but it would be Acey Deucey LLC's expense, not yours, right? Woildn't change my rig for plugins, but the flexibility and speed they provide over the old skewl method is insane. Unless of course you're a seasoned pro at micing and stuff. Even then, if you don't like the sound, you have to re-track.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              Will USB3 work with USB2 - My computer is from like 2011...
                              As a rule yes, you'll need to check on the specific device to be 100% sure but normally anything usb3 should be backwards compatible with usb2 and probably usb1 but slower.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X