Help me get my "record" on!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me get my "record" on!!!

Not sure if the G3n works as an interface or if you can just edit patches with the USB, been a while since I had one. But, still, you're missing out if you aren't using a computer to edit the patches. BTW, you can get USB cables at anywhere from Walmart to Walgreens.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
      Interesting point. I'm not new to mic'ing a cab, but won't proclaim to be anything close to a master (average, at best). My modeling experience ended probably 8 years ago when my Line 6 GuitarPort bit the dust (thankfully I moved into a detached house around the same time so the PC option wasn't as big of a deal). I have a Scarlet 2i4 and Reaper, but the thought of struggling through the learning curve associated with testing a bunch of new-to-me VSTs and iRs to find a tone I like generally leads to me just plugging into my amplifier and dragging out a mic if I want to capture an idea. I've been back and forth between upgrading my amplifier and spending the dough on a bunch of VSTs and iRs that may or may not be too much for my PC, but I always seem to find myself browsing amp heads on YouTube followed by Reverb. So, point for the old school method?
      I understand that completely, and have gotten back to a mic on the amp, but I did pick up a cool trick in the process.

I record my amp dry, then use a Poulin Lecab and Gods cab IRs later to shape my tone. I gave up on amp sims because they chew RAM like gum.

If you want to try amp and cab sims, start out with the Poulin stuff and Gods cab for IRs. It's all free and everything you really need to get started is right there.
      I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        Not sure if the G3n works as an interface or if you can just edit patches with the USB, been a while since I had one. But, still, you're missing out if you aren't using a computer to edit the patches. BTW, you can get USB cables at anywhere from Walmart to Walgreens.
        USB editing of patches on any device is the only way I do it now. I can't imagine bending over a tiny LCD screen anymore.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Bronze Buzzard View Post
          I understand that completely, and have gotten back to a mic on the amp, but I did pick up a cool trick in the process.

I record my amp dry, then use a Poulin Lecab and Gods cab IRs later to shape my tone. I gave up on amp sims because they chew RAM like gum.

If you want to try amp and cab sims, start out with the Poulin stuff and Gods cab for IRs. It's all free and everything you really need to get started is right there.
          Interesting approach. If I had my druthers, it would be mic on cab 100% of the time. Recent events have forced me to compromise that stance and I'm now using my amps with a CAB M. No complaints, but it's not as much fun. On the plus side, all of the guitar tracks are dead locked in phase, which makes this really strange phased mono effect when you have two guitars playing very locked in and panned far left and far right ...
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I need to google this CAB M apparently.

Oddly enough, I record my pocket guitars hard left and right, then fade them into each other a little later as I go back and add my cab sims and IRs.

I'm probably all backwards on what I do, but it works for my needs. I'm not trying to be a pro, and my rockstar dreams died a long time ago. It's all about fun these days.

What Daw do you use? I'm in FL producer and it sounds like you use something similar.
            I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Comment

Originally posted by Bronze Buzzard View Post
              What Daw do you use? I'm in FL producer and it sounds like you use something similar.
              I used to be a Cubase fanboy but I feel like they're getting left behind by other DAWs that are embracing alternate workflows and things like adaptive drum machines. I switched to Logic Pro X about 4 years ago and couldn't be happier, it totally fits my workflow.

On my iPad (iPad Mini 4), however, I use Cubasis because it is (in my opinion) the best full fledged DAW for mobile devices.

Comment

Hey hey hey....back to me! It's all about ME!!!

My edit patches thing is actually kind of zen night before a gig...oh well.

We'll see. I need to do this just to do it.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yup, just just jump on in! The water’s fine! (And the Kool-Aid is even better)

Comment

Cable arriving today. We'll see if I can get a Garageband clip up and going...
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                    X