Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me get my "record" on!!!

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or Solo would work fine and be relatively cheap.
    So using that I could mic an amp, or go guitar straight into Garageband? Cool.

Can I out from an Amp into that:

Marshall with "emulated" line out
    Mesa with Slave
    H&K w/ Redbox Built in
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      So using that I could mic an amp, or go guitar straight into Garageband? Cool.

Can I out from an Amp into that:

Marshall with "emulated" line out
      Mesa with Slave
      H&K w/ Redbox Built in
      Yes. Just make sure that if you are using a valve amp that you HAVE A LOAD CONNECTED, or you will blow up your amp.

A lot of people swear by amp sims, you should give it a shot, may be perfect for what you have in mind. The next step up would be using your own amp with IRs for the cab and mic. Beyond that is mic’ing your actual guitar cab with a microphone, which I find to be the most fun and varied method, but it also takes the longest to master and is by far the loudest.
      Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 06-16-2020, 05:51 AM.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I do my recordings direct right out of a Fractal AX8, so I don't bother with mics. The trick is finding the right impulse response for the tone you are going for. I also try to work hard on the arrangement, too, so that is at least as interesting as the guitar tones.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm still rocking my Gen 2 Scarlett Solo. I program everything in FL Studio and only live record guitars, one track at a time.

It's a whole new world when you hit the PC recording era. There a VST for everything. Amp sims, cab sims, Microphone Impulse responses, and amazing effects and capabilities. It's easier now than ever to homebrew your own jams, and the sound quality is cheaper than ever.
          I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Comment

I use Logic Pro X to record, but GarageBand is like Logic Lite. It’s very capable. The amp modeling is very good too.

I just use a fairly cheap Behringer UMC22 interface into a 2015 iMac. I run my guitar and bass direct and use the amp plugins.

Here’s an example:

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              USB3 devices work in 2 ports, but will downgrade your data flow.
              Can USB 3 device work with my old USB2 ports, just slower???
              ???
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                I use Logic Pro X to record, but GarageBand is like Logic Lite. ItÂ’s very capable. The amp modeling is very good too.

I just use a fairly cheap Behringer UMC22 interface into a 2015 iMac. I run my guitar and bass direct and use the amp plugins.

HereÂ’s an example:

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                That was pretty fun, actually.

Screw it. I'm not the greatest, but just to prove I'm not all talk. This what my rig does.

Stream Redneck Persuasion Banjo 2 by Broadway Butcher on desktop and mobile. Play over 320 million tracks for free on SoundCloud.
                Last edited by Bronze Buzzard; 06-16-2020, 04:11 PM.
                I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Comment

Originally posted by Bronze Buzzard View Post

Screw it. I'm not the greatest, but just to prove I'm not all talk. This what my rig does.

https://m.soundcloud.com/christopher...uasion-banjo-2
                  Kind of a Pride and Glory vibe, I dug it!
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I do my recordings direct right out of a Fractal AX8, so I don't bother with mics. The trick is finding the right impulse response for the tone you are going for. I also try to work hard on the arrangement, too, so that is at least as interesting as the guitar tones.
                    So - I COULD go straight from my Zoom GNX 3....There is a USB port, but it isn't normal looking.

That would be awesome. I have a killer Bogner setting, and all my delays etc....

Comment

So - I COULD go straight from my Zoom GNX 3....There is a USB port, but it isn't normal looking.

That would be awesome. I have a killer Bogner setting, and all my delays etc....
                      Is it a FireWire port?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bronze Buzzard View Post

https://m.soundcloud.com/christopher...uasion-banjo-2
                        Deserves its own thread, great stuff

Comment

I either use the SPDIF digital out, or just analog balanced XLR out. I can also do unbalanced 1/4" stereo out. All sound great.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I now use Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 and Cakewalk.

Cakewalk is free and it is excellent
                            My Bands -
                            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Ooh - Cakewalk. I heard of that.

Ordered a USB for my G3N.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                                A lot of people swear by amp sims, you should give it a shot, may be perfect for what you have in mind. The next step up would be using your own amp with IRs for the cab and mic. Beyond that is mic’ing your actual guitar cab with a microphone, which I find to be the most fun and varied method, but it also takes the longest to master and is by far the loudest.
                                Interesting point. I'm not new to mic'ing a cab, but won't proclaim to be anything close to a master (average, at best). My modeling experience ended probably 8 years ago when my Line 6 GuitarPort bit the dust (thankfully I moved into a detached house around the same time so the PC option wasn't as big of a deal). I have a Scarlet 2i4 and Reaper, but the thought of struggling through the learning curve associated with testing a bunch of new-to-me VSTs and iRs to find a tone I like generally leads to me just plugging into my amplifier and dragging out a mic if I want to capture an idea. I've been back and forth between upgrading my amplifier and spending the dough on a bunch of VSTs and iRs that may or may not be too much for my PC, but I always seem to find myself browsing amp heads on YouTube followed by Reverb. So, point for the old school method?
                                Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Working...
                                X