No announcement yet.

What would be a good upgrade from this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be a good upgrade from this?

I've had it for at least 10 years. It still works, but it's kind of feeling outdated. The sound is crackly sometimes which can ruin a good take., it often glitches with my windows setup and I have to unplug and replug it sometimes, and the latency (around 25ms, I think) is too much to use a guitar VST like Helix, which I would love to do. The lag is very noticable . I honestly don't think there's a problem with the unit itself, just that my new computer is too, well, new, to use it properly.

I was thinking of the focusrite Scarlett solo or 2i2. Or the zoom uac-2 USB 3.0. They both have low latency from what I've read online ,but I've also seen some reviews of both saying they died after a few months to a year of use. Well this tascam has lasted 10 years, so I don't want to 'upgrade' to something that's going to die in a year.

Anyone got any suggestions ? Trying to keep it under 300 bucks. I'd prefer something w 2 inputs. I like to record in stereo off my POD and I do voiceover work using 2 microphones (however, I can keep the tascam around for that, if there's a smoking deal on a single input interface that will get me to helix-land)

edit: just found this one https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Presonus-STU...0AAOSw49Bebsv9 <-- looks like it does exactly what I want .it is boasting 3ms latency. (focusrite says 7) does anyone have it?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BeKindRewind; 06-16-2020, 04:06 AM.

Re: What would be a good upgrade from this?

Definitely time for an upgrade. Presonus makes great stuff, but I own three Focusrite interfaces: a Solo, a 2i2, and an 18i20. No complaints and really doubt you’ll notice 3-4 mS of difference in latency.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I've also had a Scarlett 2i2 and 18i8 for years. They both have a "direct" mode for zero latency monitoring.

Comment

I am using a USB3 Steinberg UR22C. It is quiet, clean, in your budget, and comes with some great software, too.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would just get a digital mixer with a USB uplink

Most all of them will do stereo up from the onboard USB
          I have a Behringer XAir 18
          Which gives me all 18 channels up independently

The 16 version only does stereo L/R

Most all mixers that have a USB on them, will serve as an interface
          Plus you can do other stuff as well

Why buy a single purpose device
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I have to say, the XAir series is really nice, with good software. It really depends on how much space you have & how many channels you need.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I went from that to the Scarlett 2i2 first gen. Sold it because of the clipping issue (clipped with hot humbuckers). Bought the second gen which fixed the issue and still using it.

Comment

I’ll give another vote for Focusrite 2i2. Sounds great, no lag.

Comment

I truly appreciate all the suggestions . I just pulled the trigger, ended up ordering a Scarlett 2i2. , Mostly because they all seemed great, but it the only one of your guys' suggestions that I could find in stock anywhere near me. 2 more purchases to fill out my new studio. A little usb mixing board with some faders to do my mixing and a mini lighting rig to shoot music videos.

I did like the xair idea , but I really only need 2 input channels, So if I went with a multi purpose device like that, it would have to be designed for low latency guitar monitoring, and, I'd want it to have faders and knobs for all the channels too so I could do my mixes on it.
                  Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by BeKindRewind; 06-18-2020, 03:21 AM.

Comment

I can vouch for FaderPort, it works great as a USB mixer.
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                    X