banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going Amp-less in 2020? What are the options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Amp-less in 2020? What are the options?

With my professional life going in new directions, talk of kids, the wife officially occupying the second half of my home office for the foreseeable future (aka: my practice space...thanks COVID), and the reality that I probably won't be in a band or playing out anytime soon, I'm seriously thinking of moving to a PC-only setup.

I tried Peavey ReValver and Amplitube 4 back when they first came out. I remember enjoying them, especially AmpliTube, but preferred the feel of an actual amp in the room and the ability to use a footswitch.

I remember GuitarRig was popular 5-6 years ago, but it seems to be mostly unsupported now. I also see many newer amp sims and programs out there, both free and $$$, but I'm not sure where time and money is best spent.

Has anyone moved to a PC-only format and felt content with the decision?

Re: Going Amp-less in 2020? What are the options?

I do all "formats" (live, home studio, real amps, software amps).

For home studio, get yourself:

- a good, quality audio interface (I use a combo of UA 2-610 tube preamp with old EMU 1820m interface)
    - a good, quality DAW (I use Reaper, Pro Tools, Cubase)
    - a good, quality amp VST (I use Positive Grid's BIAS 2, BIAS)
    - a good, quality set of speaker iRs (Two Notes Wall of Sound VST + iRs, Ownhammer, etc...)
    - a good, quality set of VST plugins for FX and mixing (I use Waves, Eventide, Lexicon, etc...)

Comment

I have a FocusRite Scarlett Solo (I only need a single mic and instrument input) and solid monitors, so getting decent sound in/out of the computer isn't an issue.

Also, while my PC is a little older, it's a solid performer (Core i7, 16gb RAM, dedicated video card) and runs everything I throw at it

I've heard good things about the BIAS stuff. What are the differences between the versions (i.e. BIAS vs BIAS 2 as you mention)?

Is the idea here to use a DAW and VST's/IR's in place of an all-in-one, guitar-centric software platform like AmpliTube?

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
        I have a FocusRite Scarlett Solo (I only need a single mic and instrument input) and solid monitors, so getting decent sound in/out of the computer isn't an issue.

Also, while my PC is a little older, it's a solid performer (Core i7, 16gb RAM, dedicated video card) and runs everything I throw at it

I've heard good things about the BIAS stuff. What are the differences between the versions (i.e. BIAS vs BIAS 2 as you mention)?

Is the idea here to use a DAW and VST's/IR's in place of an all-in-one, guitar-centric software platform like AmpliTube?
        Generally the difference between BIAS and BIAS 2 to me, is a somewhat more authentic tone.

While software like AmpliTube would work, I'm personally more interested in a more professional, studio approach than pro-sumer... that means laying down multiple tracks of guitar and/or other instruments, creating (or recreating) songs, etc the whole enchilada... versus just jamming through an amp (real or software).

Of course, you can just jam through BIAS app (comes with 32-bit/64-bit standalone app plus 32-bit/64-bit VSTs for DAW).

Comment

Going Amp-less in 2020? What are the options?

I’m a gigging musician. I play guitar in one band, and bass in another. I have amps for both, although living in NYC I haven’t used my bass rig in years since the clubs have backlines.

At my apartment I don’t have any amps. My guitar amp lives at our rehearsal space. I mostly practice unplugged, but when I need amplified tones I have a few options. I have my old Johnson J-Station amp modeler (like a Line-6 Pod), or I use AmpliTube and an iRig with my iPhone with headphones, or through my iMac in either AmpliTube or Logic Pro X, also with headphones. I have a Behringer UMC22 interface.

I record the same way. All the amps and FX are via plugins. Logic Pro has an extensive range of amps and pedals. My live guitar rig is also a modeling amp so I can recreate those tones.

Lots of options to go amp less these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by DavidRavenMoon; 06-17-2020, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Running multiple instances of amp sims can cripple a PC, but if you are only keeping 1-2 instances live at a time, your PC if probably well up for the task. I don't use amp sims so I can't speak to that, but I can tell you that if you have an amplifier and a load box, all you would need is an IR loader and you're set.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
              I’m a gigging musician. I play guitar in one band, and bass in another. I have amps for both, although living in NYC I haven’t used my bass rig in years since the clubs have backlines.
              Where in NYC are you?! What are the names of your bands? I'm in South Brooklyn.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Might as well get a nice modeler and have the flexibility to use it with a power amp and cab should the need arise. Easy enough to use free amp sims if you want to record or play through a computer.

Comment

I never thought guitar rig or amplitude sounded good, but man, the new stuff is just amazing. Check out TH-U Overloud and Helix. A friend of mine uses the TH-U and his stuff sounds INCREDIBLE (doesn't hurt that he's an amazing guitarist though). The way he has it set up is awesome, too - he can even play his songs live by bringing his laptop and plugging into the P.A., and all his effect switching is done for him without having to touch anything. I believe you can even set up usb controllers as pedals to do whatever you want. In fact you could probably make them wireless(bluetooth). I know you can control Ableton with an Xbox controller.
                  And even more it allows you edit your guitar tone after you've already recorded something. Pretty amazing stuff and I'm so glad we live in a time where this stuff is possible. Call me a computer nerd but I'm convinced. This is how I'm gonna make all my music from now on

I myself am about to ditch my trusty pod setup and go fully VST , soon as I get an interface current enough to do that. Will it sound as good as my Marshall's with the tubes red hot in a studio? Nah - but I've always been a jack of all trades type of guy.. and the flexibility this will afford me will take my creations into the horizon

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by BeKindRewind; 06-17-2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions so far!

I'll have to look into the BIAS and TH-U stuff a bit more. Definitely sounds interesting.

Is Helix available as standalone software? I thought that was connected to Line6 hardware?

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                    Might as well get a nice modeler and have the flexibility to use it with a power amp and cab should the need arise. Easy enough to use free amp sims if you want to record or play through a computer.
                    I've considered this. However, aside from external connectivity, what does a dedicated modeler do that the newer software-based options can't?

I'm thinking the less hardware I have to find room for, the better. If I have to continue to store a cab and power amp, I might as well stick with a regular amp

Comment

Yeah Helix has a VST plugin version, no hardware required, except for an interface to get you plugged into the computer. I think it CAN work together with the floorboard if you have it, but the VST is something like half the price and it just requires a clean signal into an interface. It can use all the same downloadable / shareable presets as the floorboard version though.

I've tried it out , and it sounds pretty awesome, but my interface is too slow to monitor it in real-time. I haven't compared it to the Overloud so I don't know which is better, but they're both damn good and the TH-U suite is much cheaper, specially if you just pick the genre package you're interested (i.e. metal pack)

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                        Thank you for the suggestions so far!

I'll have to look into the BIAS and TH-U stuff a bit more. Definitely sounds interesting.

Is Helix available as standalone software? I thought that was connected to Line6 hardware?

I've considered this. However, aside from external connectivity, what does a dedicated modeler do that the newer software-based options can't?

I'm thinking the less hardware I have to find room for, the better. If I have to continue to store a cab and power amp, I might as well stick with a regular amp
                        I like to have options - with a modeler there’s a lot more (of being able to play live or use it direct to record, or just headphones). But if you don’t want the live option, understood. You also mentioned foot control, which stuff like pod go, Ampero, & mooer have. I also find anything involving my computer ends up being a PITA. More things to slow down the experience of just plugging in and start jamming.
                        Last edited by DankStar; 06-17-2020, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Helix Stomp and either some monitor speakers or good headphones.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, the HX Stomp was my first thought here, as it can be used as an interface, has a headphone out, and can really be the basis of your live sound by itself. Plus, there is a ton of support forums for it.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                              I also find anything involving my computer ends up being a PITA. More things to slow down the experience of just plugging in and start jamming.
                              That's a valid point. I definitely don't want it to take 5 minutes to set up, just so I can practice for 30 minutes, LOL!

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Yeah, the HX Stomp was my first thought here, as it can be used as an interface, has a headphone out, and can really be the basis of your live sound by itself. Plus, there is a ton of support forums for it.
                              Looked it up. That thing is cool, but pricey!

Ultimately, I'd be willing to give up foot-switch-ability if I had to. It's more of a convenience than anything else. Plus, I already have an interface and no plans for live use anytime soon.

I think I'll check out the Helix Native software. If I like it, then adding Helix hardware later seems like a logical upgrade path

Comment

Working...
                              X