banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going Amp-less in 2020? What are the options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Going Amp-less in 2020? What are the options?

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
    Honestly, that unit looks like everything I've ever dreamed of in a modern floor processor, including the touch screen! However, it's $1500, which gives my pocketbook serious cause for pause.

Also, the "more amps, more effects, more cabs!" thing always looks good on paper, but I'm getting a bit tired of having SO many options to choose from all the time, each of which has additional levels of tweaking and adjusting.

At this point, I'd rather have 4, maybe 5 seriously awesome amp sims, a handful of reliable IRs and a nice rounding of high quality effects that I can add onto as needed.

The regular Neural DSP plug-ins look like they might be a better fit in my case.
    This is my take as well. Long ago I used a Line6 Guitar Port. There were tons of amps, cabs, and effects, and after what seemed like an eternity of trying them all out and tweaking, I found myself using 3 different amps and only a handful of effects. Given that many options, I tend to suffer from analysis paralysis, so I'm taking a similar approach with looking for smaller suites with more limited options.

I downloaded the trial of the Neural DSP Nolly last night and played around for a while. What's interesting is that every one of the presets have a considerably heavier bottom end than clips on YouTube of the same presets. Several of them sound fizzier, too. Not sure if folks are post-processing these demos or not. I'm didn't go into it expecting not to tweak to find my favorite tones, but thus far it's not behaving like the demos I've seen. Maybe it's my hardware, I just don't know yet, but I still have 13 days worth of trial to play around.
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
      I downloaded the trial of the Neural DSP Nolly last night and played around for a while. What's interesting is that every one of the presets have a considerably heavier bottom end than clips on YouTube of the same presets. Several of them sound fizzier, too. Not sure if folks are post-processing these demos or not. I'm didn't go into it expecting not to tweak to find my favorite tones, but thus far it's not behaving like the demos I've seen. Maybe it's my hardware, I just don't know yet, but I still have 13 days worth of trial to play around.
      Could possibly be your particular headphones, monitors or even your daw coloring it a bit? I find that using the EQ pedal to dial out some of the bass frequencies definietly helps it sound better, but then I always put high pass filters on guitars anyway to make room for the bass and kick drum, so that's the sound I go for anyway. but yeah seems to me the EQ pedal in this plugin is one of the most powerful things about it

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
        Could possibly be your particular headphones, monitors or even your daw coloring it a bit? I find that using the EQ pedal to dial out some of the bass frequencies definietly helps it sound better, but then I always put high pass filters on guitars anyway to make room for the bass and kick drum, so that's the sound I go for anyway. but yeah seems to me the EQ pedal in this plugin is one of the most powerful things about it
        I haven't had a chance to play with EQ pedal yet, I was just judging the preset tones against what reviewers were claiming were preset tones. Tones are the same through both my monitors (Yamaha HS5) and my headphones (AKG K240). I tested both the VST in Reaper and the standalone and those are consistent with each other. It's possible that it's the Scarlett, or maybe I just need to tweak the EQ. I haven't ruled out anything else, either.
        Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
          Heads up, the Neural Nolly plugin is on sale 50% off right now. Only for the rest of today, I think. It's not on their website but they posted it on the Facebook user group. Coupon code NOLLY50

Edit ; I got it. Time to record some awesome tuneage !
          Nice find! Thanks for sharing!

Even at half-price, $80 for "software" always seems like a lot to me. I suppose it really isn't in the grand scheme of things...a new video game is $60+, a "cheap" pedal is $40, etc.,

That said, I took a chance on the deal Seems like a rare savings and these models basically encompass what I'm looking for as a core "amp" setup for my PC. Now to get them set up!

Curious what others who have experience with the Neural stuff are using along with these plug-ins? Any other essentials?

Comment

Best comprehensive & unbiased video I could find ..too bad I can't understand a word of it

That said I'd watch it for just the playing & the killer tones ...pretty ace all around. The fingers do the talking

I think it's a fantastic unit for it's price & features...

Love mine
            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I played guitar and bass on Mac/PC for years. They sound good but never as good as a dedicated modeler IMO. The bad part of playing on a computer is you have to deal with updates (mainly on Windows PC), and that was killing my workflow. Say you have 30 minutes for playtime, you open the computer and bingo it's going for updates (long minutes) and have to reboot after, I was now left with 5 minutes to play guitar and gave up. And I'm not talking about obsolescence, so a PC solution might be good for 2-5 years at most.

I'm using an Avid Eleven Rack, live and at home, for the last 7-8 years, for guitar and for bass. Used it first with a tube power amp and 4x12" cab, but now only direct to PA. I can use a computer if I want (recording, backing tracks, etc.) but I can also use the Eleven Rack standalone (most of the time). Takes 30 seconds to start. I have a small midi controller (Tech21 Mongoose) with an expression pedal for wah/volume and that's it. Sounds incredible. I think you can get a used Eleven Rack for $200 this days. Works well with headphones too. I tried Garageband, Amplitude 4 and Revolver but found them not even close to Eleven Rack IMHO.

If you don't want to spend to much, I'm using a Zoom G1-Four (that I can throw with headphones in my gigbag). Incredible for $99. Very good practice headphone amp, and also not too bad direct to powered PA speakers. Might even works plugging in an aux-in of a bluetooth speaker.

Comment

No f-ing way am I going to give up my amps. Like Joe says, there's a symbiotic relationship between the amp and the guitar. They're one instrument and you can't have a complete instrument without both halves.

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                  No f-ing way am I going to give up my amps. Like Joe says, there's a symbiotic relationship between the amp and the guitar. They're one instrument and you can't have a complete instrument without both halves.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...T53TJtg7FE_CQQ
                  While I understand it, I think sometimes if you are gonna break down barriers, you have to change the way you work. I use amps, too. But sometimes I am not trying to created classic guitar sounds, or really, sound like a guitar at all...for that, I need a different system, as regular amps just don't do what I want.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I picked up the Nolly suite for half-off on a whim a few days ago and I must say, I'm pretty blown away. In fact, I can't find a single thing to complain about! 4 great sounding, incredibly usable and well thought-out sims with a beautiful layout and a nice range of basic effects included.

I had read in multiple places that Neural is at the top of their game when it comes to amp sims and I have to agree...very satisfied overall. I'll be looking to pick up their "Plini" set and the Fortin "Cali" if they ever go on sale.

BTW, they have extended their 50% off sale for all previously on-sale models (Nameless, Omega, NTS, Nolly, etc) using code "lastchance50" for a very short time. I almost grabbed the Nameless because of the sea of amazing reviews and some really good YouTube examples, but I'm saving the funds for the previously mentioned amps.

If you're on the fence about "sims" and are basing your experience on AmpliTube, Revalver, etc., I say download any of the Nolly, Plini, and/or Cali suites and give the demos a try!
                    Last edited by Masta' C; 06-29-2020, 01:52 AM.

Comment

I've just received my Native Instruments Komplete 2 interface. I got Guitar Rig 5 as part of registering it, and I lost 2 1/2 hours just going through the presets with my G&L Legacy! Good fun, some seriously cool presets, and good drive tones. I do also have Amplitube 4, with the Custom Shop, but I haven't tried that yet. Up until now, I've just used an iRig HD2 and Amplitube on my iPad.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

iRig and Amplitube on the iPad are great. You really can't beat that combo for sheer convenience and it's surprisingly decent sounding.

I will say that these Neural DSP sims are ridiculous...a real step above even AmpliTube V.4, which I have to compare. I'm also eyeing the ML Sound Lab "Amped" sims to round out my limited-amp package. They have a single-amp "Roots" sim you can get for free and a paid-for sim of the PRS Archon.

Just a heads up for those who might be interested, the Zilla cab IR pack from GGD is highly regarded by even most Neural DSP users and normally runs $50. I found that if you add it to your cart, add code "INDOORS33" (for 33% off) and start checkout with Paypal, but don't finish...they will send you $10 "store cash" through your Paypal account within a day or two, bringing the package down to just $23! So, for basically $100, I have a seriously high quality 4-pack of amp sims with effects and top-notch IRs to match them with. I feel good about it!

Comment

Thanks for the Heads up Masta C! I have been completely pleased by the cabinet emulation within the Nolly Plugin but if these IR packs can make it sound even better than I'll have to check them out!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Heads up to anyone who's interested, Neural is supposed to be releasing something cool and new today in the form of a new plugin/suite...lots of hype building over it!

Comment

You might want to check out the Palmer Pocket Amp MK 2. It provides an amp/cabinet simulation with switchable microphone placement. There are "Vintage", "Brit", and "US" amps which I take to be Fender, Marshall, and Mesa amps. It has clean, crunch and heavy settings for each amp. It also has drive and output controls, along with bass and treble controls. There is an auxiliary-in, headphone jack and XLR out. It also includes a ground lift. Just feed it to the computer through a board or something like that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	5821003
                              Last edited by rbc; 07-04-2020, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X