banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going Amp-less in 2020? What are the options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Going Amp-less in 2020? What are the options?

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlet Solo with AmpliTiube 4 and the Custom Shop add-on. Got a nice sounding Soldano rig going. For recording I'll use Reaper as it supports the AmpliTube plugin. I like that I can launch the AmpliTube interface by itself when not recording and I just want to play along with songs and such in my music library. I'm not after a super fancy setup for doing high end stuff, just something that sounds good for my needs. I play at home with headphones on 95% of the time so this works for me perfectly. My amp is at our rehearsal space.

Comment

No love for Line6 POD's these days?
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        I have one and it does its thing, but it's pretty dated by contemporary modeling standards. It's possible to dial it in to sound decent, but it feels horribly plastic-y and fake IMO.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Absolutely none.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I still use a pod hd400 and getting good tones from it. I still admittedly love it because I've been using it for so long and the bogner model on it is so so good . but the new technology blows the POD stuff out of the water.. and impulse responses are so much more powerful than the microphone choices on the pods. Helix will certainly be an upgrade for me

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
              Where in NYC are you?! What are the names of your bands? I'm in South Brooklyn.
              Both bands are based in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. My main band is Jezo and the Element, with the infamous Jezo Black on vocals. She used to be in the band Spitfire America. I play guitar in that band.

I play bass in Mora Tau. Ronnie and Shauna from Mora Tau are also in Jezo and the Element. Only Ronnie plays bass.

I’m new in Mora Tau, so I haven’t played out with them yet. We had gigs with both bands that got canceled. [emoji853]

Here the Jezo and the Element SoundCloud page. On these recordings I’m playing all the instruments. I recorded everything in Logic Pro X at home. No amps or pedals were used during the recordings. [emoji16] We are going to re-record the songs with the band soon.

record, sounds, share, sound, audio, tracks, music, soundcloud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank, I’ll check it out! I play guitar and keys in a crossover prog band, As Follows.
                Soundcloud, https://soundcloud.com/as-follows
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                  Thank, I’ll check it out! I play guitar and keys in a crossover prog band, As Follows.
                  Soundcloud, https://soundcloud.com/as-follows
                  Cool stuff! Parts of Father Giles of Ham reminds me of XTC doing the Dukes.

I played bass in prog bands for most of the 70s. My favorite bands are Gentle Giant and King Crimson. I was a big Yes fan until around Relayer. Still have two ‘73 Rickenbacker basses.

Both my bands are very much in the grunge camp, but I like to add something different when I can.

If you listen to our song Cherry, the bridge section guitar part was inspired by Mahavishnu Orchestra’s Dance of Maya, mixed with the Pixies. [emoji16]

I sit around playing lots of John McLaughlin type stuff on guitar, but there’s never a place for it with the band. I haven’t played prog with an actual band in decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So I've got my scarlett hooked up and I've been messing with the Amp VST's for a few days. I know I recommended Helix and TH-U before, I also got into another one called Kuassa which is also excellent. But I found one I like even better.

https://neuraldsp.com/products/archetype-nolly/ this is the one I'm pretty sure I'm gonna settle with, it just sounds magical and feels just like playing a real amp. it's only 4 amps but it has everything from pristine clean to nuclear meltdown. might be worth checking out
                    Last edited by BeKindRewind; 06-22-2020, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Every time I come across a Neural sample, I'm a bit blown away. I'll definitely have to check that out!

Comment

The new POD Go seems more flexible for a home rig than the Stomp...
                        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I really cannot imagine giving up hardware entirely and just living off an interface and PC. There is something satisfying about having a piece of gear that I can plug in anywhere and get great sounds - all you'd need is an XLR or two, or a set of cans. I had another thread about the Fractal AX8 I bought and if I were you, I wouldn't discount the direct hardware route!

You might want to wait for the fall, and consider the Neural Quad Cortex. They are positioning it as the best modeler to date, and if their software is any indication, it really looks like it combines the best of Fractal and Line6, and that it's going to kick ass. Never mind waiting for the fall, check it out and consider preordering it.

With plugins as standalone or companions to a DAW, you should check out the free trials of the Neural DSP Nolly and Abasi, and consider Helix Native as another solid in-the-box option. IIRC you can't "add" Helix hardware later on, I understood you either buy the Helix Floor/LT, or you buy the standalone Helix Native software. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It is soooo true that compared to Guitar Rig 5, Amplitube, Revalver, there are better options in 2020.
                          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                          • G&L Tribute Comanche
                          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
                            With plugins as standalone or companions to a DAW, you should check out the free trials of the Neural DSP Nolly and Abasi, and consider Helix Native as another solid in-the-box option. IIRC you can't "add" Helix hardware later on, I understood you either buy the Helix Floor/LT, or you buy the standalone Helix Native software. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It is soooo true that compared to Guitar Rig 5, Amplitube, Revalver, there are better options in 2020.
                            If you have registered Helix hardware, you can get Helix Native For $99.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
                              You might want to wait for the fall, and consider the Neural Quad Cortex.
                              Honestly, that unit looks like everything I've ever dreamed of in a modern floor processor, including the touch screen! However, it's $1500, which gives my pocketbook serious cause for pause.

Also, the "more amps, more effects, more cabs!" thing always looks good on paper, but I'm getting a bit tired of having SO many options to choose from all the time, each of which has additional levels of tweaking and adjusting.

At this point, I'd rather have 4, maybe 5 seriously awesome amp sims, a handful of reliable IRs and a nice rounding of high quality effects that I can add onto as needed.

The regular Neural DSP plug-ins look like they might be a better fit in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                                Honestly, that unit looks like everything I've ever dreamed of in a modern floor processor, including the touch screen! However, it's $1500, which gives my pocketbook serious cause for pause.

Also, the "more amps, more effects, more cabs!" thing always looks good on paper, but I'm getting a bit tired of having SO many options to choose from all the time, each of which has additional levels of tweaking and adjusting.

At this point, I'd rather have 4, maybe 5 seriously awesome amp sims, a handful of reliable IRs and a nice rounding of high quality effects that I can add onto as needed.

The regular Neural DSP plug-ins look like they might be a better fit in my case.
                                Heads up, the Neural Nolly plugin is on sale 50% off right now. Only for the rest of today, I think. It's not on their website but they posted it on the Facebook user group. Coupon code NOLLY50

Edit ; I got it. Time to record some awesome tuneage !

I kind of agree, btw. at first I wanted the Helix because it has a huge amount of amps, and tons of effects but I like the 4 amps in Nolly so much I can't see myself needing more. And all the huge amount of effects you get in Helix Native would be cool, but I can do all that with standalone plugins. A huge draw for Helix for me is the 1000's of available presets and line6 does have some cool synth effects and stuff but with a little effort I can create all that stuff within my DAW anyway

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by BeKindRewind; 06-24-2020, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X